Choosing Math Classes for My Junior Fall Schedule as a Physics Major

In summary: QM?In summary, In order to be successful in upperlevel physics courses, you need to take ODEs and Complex Analysis. Additionally, Probability theory is needed.
proton
I'm going to be a junior transfer next fall and I'll be starting my upperdiv classes. I'm a physics major, but am undecided about which area of physics I want to pursue, though I am leaning towards particle, astrophysics, or optics. Also unsure about theoretical or experimental physics.

I basically have to choose 2 more math classes for my fall schedule among:
Complex Analysis, ODEs (upperdiv), Probability theory, and Real Analysis

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only a junior myself, but I think I would choose ODE's as one of them.

DE's of all kinds are without a doubt important in physics. Also, I have gotten a good deal of all the probability theory I've needed from my physics classes themselves, but I guess it couldn't hurt to take a class in it. As for the other two, I wouldn't know.

Last edited:
I would imagine that for upper level physics courses you absolutely NEED to have ODE done. Also, from what I've seen of QM, you also need the probability class. Get those two done first.

ODE's and Complex Analysis...Probability theory as taught by the math departments I have seen is of little use in QM. I wish I'd have taken complex analysis while in school so that I could do some of the work I have been doing lately without as much a struggle.

I've heard that Linear Algebra is recommended for QM.

Maxwell said:
I would imagine that for upper level physics courses you absolutely NEED to have ODE done.

Even the upperdiv ODE class? its focused on proofs and existence and uniqueness problems

Dr Transport said:
ODE's and Complex Analysis...Probability theory as taught by the math departments I have seen is of little use in QM. I wish I'd have taken complex analysis while in school so that I could do some of the work I have been doing lately without as much a struggle.

I know I'll need complex analysis. But should I take it NOW? or should I wait until later on in my undergrad?

I'd take DE, because they turn up everywhere, and one of the analysis courses.

You'd be better off taking both analysis courses at some point in your undergrad, so I'd suggest taking whichever fits best your schedule, and take the other one later. Complex will be useful (mostly) for E&M/optics, and real for QM.

what does your entire schedule look like? I am a transfer junior this fall as well.

if the DE class is solely existence and uniqueness problems, then it doesn't seem like a "must take" class. if you've learned to solve first and second order ODE's and also how to use power series for DE's, you're pretty much set for undergrad (at least in my experience).

the complex analysis class will be useful. you might not have to solve too many contour integrals as an undergrad, but it appears to be a rather important tool of the trade, regardless.

probability theory could prove to be useful for a little bit of stat mech. my course in stat mech covered a little bit of binomial and poisson distributions, so my probability course helped with that (and was also total overkill for that purpose!).

no experience yet with the utility of real analysis, but I've gotten through all of the undergrad physics coursework (excepting the advanced lab classes) without it, fwiw.

ice109 said:
what does your entire schedule look like? I am a transfer junior this fall as well.

I'm also taking Math Methods for Physics, and Linear Algebra (upperdiv, proof based)

Brad Barker said:
if the DE class is solely existence and uniqueness problems, then it doesn't seem like a "must take" class.

Heres the description of the class:
Selected topics in differential equations. Laplace transforms, existence and uniqueness theorems, Fourier series, separation of variable solutions to partial differential equations, Sturm/Liouville theory, calculus of variations, two-point boundary value problems, Green's functions.

proton said:
I'm also taking Math Methods for Physics, and Linear Algebra (upperdiv, proof based)
you're lucky, math physics isn't offered at my school till the spring :cry:
proton said:
Selected topics in differential equations. Laplace transforms, existence and uniqueness theorems, Fourier series, separation of variable solutions to partial differential equations, Sturm/Liouville theory, calculus of variations, two-point boundary value problems, Green's functions.

that sounds like a lot more than just uniqueness and existence and it sounds like a lot of useful stuff. take that

that seems to cover a lot of pde stuff as well it would be good course to take.

proton said:

This is a worthwhile DE course as long as it isn't existence and uniqueness proofs.

ok so I'll definitely take the ODE class. It seems that to most of you guys that I shouldn't take the probability class. so what's better to take first: complex or real analysis?

My guess is that real analysis is because some other math classes have it as a prereq, but I could be wrong

proton said:
so what's better to take first: complex or real analysis?

You should try and learn real analysis before complex analysis.

if you wouldn't mind, could you provide us with the course descriptions of the complex and real analysis classes?

sure, a lot of math classes might have real analysis as a prereq, but they're more likely to be the pure math classes that a physicist could certainly live without (except for formal theorists, who apparently need the "kitchen sink").

Complex Analysis for Applications
Introduction to basic formulas and calculation procedures of complex analysis of one variable relevant to applications. Topics include Cauchy/Riemann equations, Cauchy integral formula, power series expansion, contour integrals, residue calculus.

Analysis
Rigorous introduction to foundations of real analysis; real numbers, point set topology in Euclidean space, functions, continuity.

Definitely take ODE, you'll need it for PDE and differential geometry later and should have a solid understanding of operational calculus as early in your education as possible

the complex analysis appears to be pretty much the same as UF's "functions of a complex variable," which was primarily a computation-based course.

i would go with that. contour integrals are an essential tool, whereas you can get by without proving everything about real numbers. ;)

I just spoke to one of my advisors at orientation and I have to take a lower-div physics class on stat mechanics and quantum mechanics. It's a little more advance than the standard lower-div modern physics course. So the two classes I'll take for sure are Math Methods and "Elements of Quantum Mech and Statistical Mech".

I need at least 1 more class to meet the minimum number of units. I wanted to choose an upper-div math class, but he advised that I take a upper-div GE class instead because its my 1st quarter at a university, and its best that I start off with easy A's. I have to adjust to the new social life, etc. Should I trust him on this? Or is it definitely possible to do well with my 2 physics and 1 math class?

Hey proton, you're at UCLA, right? I suggest going easy just for your first quarter. Give yourself a little time to "get the lay of the land."

ok I've decided I want to take 1 math class. I can only take either Linear algebra , analysis, or complex analysis. Which would be better to take as my first upper-div math course?

Complex Analysis would be an excellent choice if you already have a familiarity with proof technique; however, it might be a difficult leap at first.

Linear Algebra is a tried and true course that, at least from what I hear, is generally a computationally intensive course, but little is done about rigor.

Analysis is generally consitered the hardest first upper division class because it is primarily forcing yourself to work through material you already have seen to gain a deeper understanding; however, a large amount of proofing finese can be necessary.

^_^physicist said:
Complex Analysis would be an excellent choice if you already have a familiarity with proof technique; however, it might be a difficult leap at first.

Linear Algebra is a tried and true course that, at least from what I hear, is generally a computationally intensive course, but little is done about rigor.

Analysis is generally consitered the hardest first upper division class because it is primarily forcing yourself to work through material you already have seen to gain a deeper understanding; however, a large amount of proofing finese can be necessary.

my linear algebra class was very much proof-based.

1. What math classes should I take as a physics major?

As a physics major, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. The most essential courses to take are Calculus I, II, and III, as well as Differential Equations. These courses will provide you with the necessary tools to understand and solve complex physics problems. Additionally, Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus are highly recommended for physics majors.

2. Can I take any math classes outside of the required courses for my major?

Yes, you can take math classes outside of your required courses for your major. It is always beneficial to have a diverse background in math, as it will help you approach physics problems from different perspectives. Some recommended courses to consider are Probability and Statistics, Complex Analysis, and Number Theory.

3. Are there any math classes that are particularly helpful for specific areas of physics?

Yes, there are certain math classes that are particularly useful for different areas of physics. For example, if you are interested in theoretical physics, taking courses in Group Theory or Topology can be beneficial. If you are more interested in experimental physics, taking courses in Data Analysis or Numerical Methods can be helpful.

4. How many math classes should I take each semester as a physics major?

This ultimately depends on your individual workload and academic goals. It is generally recommended to take at least two math courses per semester to stay on track with your major requirements. However, if you feel overwhelmed, it is okay to take one math class per semester. Just be sure to plan ahead and make up any missed courses in later semesters.

5. Is it necessary to take advanced math courses as a physics major?

It is not necessary to take advanced math courses as a physics major. However, if you plan on pursuing a graduate degree in physics or a related field, it can be beneficial to take advanced math courses to strengthen your mathematical skills and prepare you for more challenging coursework. Ultimately, it is important to balance your workload and choose math classes that align with your academic and career goals.