Cosmology books for a beginner

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for book recommendations on cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, and theoretical physics for a layman. Suggestions include "In Search of the Big Bang" by John Gribbin, "The Big Bang" by Simon Singh, "The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg, and "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Green. Additional advice is given to check out book reviews on a website and to look for free resources on the internet.
pkarnett
Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
John Gribbin "In search of the big bang" is a good maths free intro.
Simon Singh "The big bang" well written but more about the people than the physics?
Steven Weinberg "The first three minutes" is a slightly more detailed description by one of the top researchers.

Read "An Elegant Universe" by Brian Green. It covers topics like parallel universes, extra dimensions, sparticles, superstrings and a new discipline called String Theory.

pkarnett said:
Hello,

I am looking for some of the best books regarding cosmology, parallel universes, time travel, dimensions, quantum mechanics, theoretical physics, etc. for a layman. I am interested in the subject and would love to learn more about it. Any advice of where to get started would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I suggest you take a look at my website, in particular the book reviews, where I look at lots of books of this type.

Shrodingers kittens and Shrodingers cat by John Gribbin --> quantumn theory

and Universe by Freedman and Kaufmann --> cosmology, some astrophysics. Not highly mathematical and well written.

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole. It encompasses a wide range of topics such as the Big Bang theory, the formation of galaxies, and the properties of dark matter and dark energy.

2. What are some recommended cosmology books for beginners?

Some popular and highly recommended cosmology books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and Donald Goldsmith, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Do I need a strong background in physics to understand cosmology books?

While a basic understanding of physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in the subject to understand cosmology books for beginners. Many authors strive to make complex concepts accessible to readers with varying levels of scientific knowledge.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about cosmology?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about cosmology, such as online courses, lectures, and articles from reputable sources. Some popular websites include NASA's Cosmology 101 and the European Space Agency's Introduction to Cosmology.

5. How can reading about cosmology benefit me?

Reading about cosmology can help expand your knowledge and understanding of the universe and our place within it. It can also stimulate critical thinking and curiosity about the fundamental questions of existence. Additionally, it can provide insight into scientific methods and processes, which can be applicable to other areas of study.