How Fast Must the Cylinder Rotate to Keep Passengers from Sliding?

• Thread starter jks8686
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of passengers standing inside a rotating cylinder in an amusement park ride and the factors that determine whether or not they will slide. The coefficients of friction for clothing against steel are mentioned, along with the equations needed to calculate the minimum frequency required for the passengers to stick to the wall. It is suggested that the answer obtained, 0.4068 rotations per second, should be multiplied by 60 to get rotations per minute.
jks8686

Homework Statement

In an old-fashioned amusement park ride, passengers stand inside a 3.0-m-tall, 5.0-m-diameter hollow steel cylinder with their backs against the wall. The cylinder begins to rotate about a vertical axis. Then the floor on which the passengers are standing suddenly drops away! If all goes well, the passengers will “stick” to the wall and not slide. Clothing has a static coefficient of friction against steel in the range 0.60 to 1.0 and a kinetic coefficient in the range 0.40 to 0.70.

Homework Equations

T = 1/f

and so the people don't slide

(coefficient of friction) (Fn)= mg

( (coefficient of friction)*m*v^2)/ r = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

(coefficient of friction) = (g*r)/ (v^2)

T = (2*pi*r)/ square root of ((g*r)/(coefficient of friction))

and f= 1/T

I got 0.4068 = f
but the program says I am wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the coefficient of friction? What did you use for the radius?

Assuming that the question was to find the minimum frequency to insure that they wouldn't slide, it looks OK to me. How was the question phrased exactly?

The 0.4068 is rotations in a second. You had to multiply that value by 60 to put it into rotations per MINUTE.

1. What is the deadline for this homework question?

The deadline for the homework question is typically determined by the teacher or professor who assigned it. It is important to check the assignment instructions or syllabus for the due date.

2. Can you help me with my homework question?

As a scientist, my expertise may not align with the specific homework question you are asking. It is important to reach out to your teacher, professor, or classmates for help with homework questions.

3. Can you give me the answer to this homework question?

As a scientist, it is not my role to give out answers to homework questions. It is important for students to work through the question themselves and use resources such as textbooks or online research to find the answer.

4. Why do I have to do this homework question?

Homework questions are typically assigned to reinforce and apply the concepts learned in class. They also help students practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. Can I submit this homework question late?

The submission policy for homework questions may vary depending on the teacher or professor. It is important to communicate with them and ask for an extension if needed, but it is always best to submit assignments on time.