Learning IDL: Seeking Advice from Experienced Users

• Thread starter imabug
  • Start date
In summary, there are various books available to help you learn IDL, including ITT's own "Introduction to IDL" tutorial manual. There are also more comprehensive books written by experienced IDL programmers, such as "IDL Primer" by Ronn Kling and "Practical IDL Programming" by Liam Gumley. These books can be found on ITT's "Books and Training Manuals" web page.
imabug
The new gamma cameras at work use IDL for the programming environment, which means I need to learn IDL now. Can any IDL users out there provide me with titles of some good books that will help me get up to speed with IDL?

Much appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Books for Learning IDL

imabug said:
The new gamma cameras at work use IDL for the programming environment, which means I need to learn IDL now. Can any IDL users out there provide me with titles of some good books that will help me get up to speed with IDL?

Much appreciated.

I think the most logical place to start is on ITT Visual Information Solutions' 'Books and Training Manuals' web page at URL:

http://www.ittvis.com/training/books.asp

For a text that helps you get started, there is probably no better than ITT's own tutorial-formatted manual "Introduction to IDL", which serves as the text for ITT's 3-day introductory course to IDL.

The books on ITT's web site, which were written by third parties, are all much broader in content and deeper in detail than the ITT IDL course manuals. They are also all written by consultants with many, many years of IDL programming experience and active involvement in the public IDL newsgroup. Of these the following would probably best serve as "primers" for the IDL language:

- IDL Primer by Ronn Kling
- An Introduction to Programming with IDL by Kenneth Bowman
- IDL Programming Techniques by David Fanning
- Practical IDL Programming by Liam Gumley

Hope this helps,
James Jones
ITT Technical Support

Last edited by a moderator:

As an experienced IDL user, I can offer some advice for learning IDL and recommend some resources that may be helpful to you. First and foremost, I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the IDL syntax and basic programming concepts. This can be done through online tutorials, such as those provided by the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, or through introductory books like "IDL Programming Techniques" by David Fanning.

Once you have a solid understanding of the basics, I would recommend exploring the IDL documentation and user forums. These resources can provide you with a deeper understanding of the language and its capabilities, as well as tips and tricks from experienced users.

In terms of books, "IDL in a Nutshell" by David Fanning is a comprehensive reference guide that covers the language's syntax, graphics capabilities, and programming techniques. "IDL Programming: Techniques and Applications" by T.W. MacRae and N.R. Hileman is another highly recommended resource for learning IDL.

Additionally, attending workshops or online courses specifically focused on IDL can also be beneficial in honing your skills and learning from experienced instructors.

Overall, the key to mastering IDL is practice and continuous learning. Don't be afraid to experiment and ask questions, as the IDL community is generally very supportive and willing to help. Best of luck in your journey to becoming an IDL expert!

1. What is IDL and what is its purpose?

IDL stands for Interactive Data Language. It is a programming language used in scientific data analysis and visualization. It is primarily used in the fields of astronomy, physics, and other scientific disciplines.

2. Is IDL difficult to learn for someone with no programming experience?

IDL can be challenging for someone with no programming experience. However, with the right resources and dedication, it is possible to learn the basics and use it effectively for scientific data analysis.

3. Are there any recommended resources for learning IDL?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning IDL, including online tutorials, documentation, and books. Some popular options include the official IDL documentation, the "IDL Programming Techniques" book by David Stern, and the "IDL Programming for Scientists and Engineers" book by David W. Fanning.

4. How can I find experienced IDL users for advice and guidance?

There are various online communities and forums dedicated to IDL, where experienced users are often willing to provide advice and guidance. You can also reach out to colleagues or mentors who have experience with IDL for assistance.

5. Are there any common mistakes that beginners make when learning IDL?

One common mistake is not understanding the basic concepts and syntax of IDL before attempting to write complex scripts. It is also essential to properly manage data and understand how to use built-in functions and procedures. Additionally, not utilizing the available resources, such as help files and documentation, can hinder the learning process.