Incidence, Refraction, Critical Angle

In summary, incidence is the angle at which a ray of light strikes a surface or interface between two materials. Refraction is the bending of a ray of light as it passes through a material with a different optical density. The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a ray of light passing through a material is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees. This angle is calculated using Snell's law and has various real-life applications in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and astronomy.
Air

Homework Statement

Travellers in hot places often think that they see water in the distance, when there is nothing but land there. This effect is called a mirage. The air near the ground is very hot, and light reflects off the top of this layer of hot air. The diagram below shows how you could demonstrate the effect in a laboratory.

AirGlassBlock.jpg

On the diagram, draw appropriate normals and mark:
  • An angle of incidence, labelled I,
  • An angle of refraction, labelled R, and
  • An angle labelled G which you know is greater than the critical angle.

2. The attempt at a solution
AirGlassBlockMyAnswer.jpg

^ Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Air said:

Homework Statement

Travellers in hot places often think that they see water in the distance, when there is nothing but land there. This effect is called a mirage. The air near the ground is very hot, and light reflects off the top of this layer of hot air. The diagram below shows how you could demonstrate the effect in a laboratory.

AirGlassBlock.jpg

On the diagram, draw appropriate normals and mark:
  • An angle of incidence, labelled I,
  • An angle of refraction, labelled R, and
  • An angle labelled G which you know is greater than the critical angle.

2. The attempt at a solution
AirGlassBlockMyAnswer.jpg

^ Is it correct?
Looks good to me :approve:

I was confused if G was just as the ray left the glass block. So, it is correct, that it occurs during total internal reflection?

Air said:
I was confused if G was just as the ray left the glass block. So, it is correct, that it occurs during total internal reflection?
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean. You know that G must be greater than the critical angle because TIR occurs.

So, is G the angle of incidence for total internal reflection to occur.

Isn't critical angle when incident angle equal reflected angle? :confused:

Air said:
So, is G the angle of incidence for total internal reflection to occur.

Isn't critical angle when incident angle equal reflected angle? :confused:
No, all you can conclude from the diagram is that G is greater than the critical angle since we have TIR. Furthermore, the incident angle is always equal to the reflected angle.

If I drew G on the other side of the normal inside the glass block (where total internal reflection occurs), would that have been correct too? Or, is it always the angle from the normal line when it is incident ray?

Air said:
If I drew G on the other side of the normal inside the glass block (where total internal reflection occurs), would that have been correct too? Or, is it always the angle from the normal line when it is incident ray?
The critical angle is always measured from the normal to the incident ray. However, in this case you know that since the ray is reflected both the angles on either side of the normal must be equal, therefore it is equally correct to mark G as the angle between the reflected ray and the normal line.

What is incidence?

Incidence is the angle at which a ray of light strikes a surface or interface between two materials.

What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of a ray of light as it passes through a material with a different optical density.

What is the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a ray of light passing through a material is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees.

How is the critical angle calculated?

The critical angle is calculated using Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first material to the speed of light in the second material.

What are some real-life applications of incidence, refraction, and critical angle?

These concepts are used in various optical instruments such as lenses, prisms, and fiber optics. They are also important in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and astronomy.