Infinite Group Has Infinite Subgroups

In summary: That's the group of all integer permutations of p. It's not finite. It's the infinite additive group of all reals. This is another example of a group that has an infinite number of subgroups but isn't finite.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Infinite Group Has Infinite Subgroups

Homework Statement
Prove that an infinite group must have an infinite number of subgroups.

The attempt at a solution
There are two infinite groups that I can think of: the additive group of integers Z and the multiplicative group of positive reals R+. Except for 0, all elements of Z have infinite order and <n>, n ≥ 0, is a unique subgroup of Z. The same seems to hold for R+. Hmm...

Let G = {e, a1, -a1, a2, -a2, ...} be an infinite additive group. I'm led to believe that <ai> ≠ <aj> if i ≠ j.

The following is a plausible proof by contradiction: Suppose <ai> = <aj>. That means <ai> is a subset of <aj>, so there is a positive integer m > 1 such that maj = ai, and <aj> is a subset of <ai> so there is a positive integer n > 1 such that nai = aj. This implies that mnai = maj = ai and since mn > 1, <ai> is finite which means that ai has finite order. So all I have to prove now is that ai has infinite order.

This is where I'm stuck. I need a little push.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there exists x in G such that x has infinite order, consider the group generated by x^2, x^3, x^4, ... Containment one way is trivial, so if the groups aren't distinct, I'm sure you can find a contradiction to the fact that x has infinite order.

If |x| is finite for all x in G, pick x1, x2, x3, ... such that x2 is not contained in <x1>, etc. These are an infinite number of subgroups, and are obviously distinct since otherwise |G| is finite.

zhentil said:
If there exists x in G such that x has infinite order, consider the group generated by x^2, x^3, x^4, ... Containment one way is trivial, so if the groups aren't distinct, I'm sure you can find a contradiction to the fact that x has infinite order.

Right. This is what I did in my first post, essentially.

If |x| is finite for all x in G, pick x1, x2, x3, ... such that x2 is not contained in <x1>, etc. These are an infinite number of subgroups, and are obviously distinct since otherwise |G| is finite.

So I start by picking x1 in G. Then I find an x2 in G that is not in <x1>. Then I find an x3 in G that is not in <x2> and <x1>. Etc. And there is an infinite number of these. Sure they are distinct but how does that make |G| finite?

It doesn't make |G| finite. That's the point. You've found an infinite number of distinct subgroups. If the process terminated at some point, that would make |G| finite, a contradiction.

zhentil said:
If the process terminated at some point, that would make |G| finite, a contradiction.
I messed up. I meant to ask why |G| is finite if the process terminates.

Because you can count the elements. Say it stops after n steps. Then you can't find an element of G not in <xi> for some i. But since |<xi>| is finite for each i, you have a finite sum of finite numbers, and you're done.

Right! I forgot that |<xi>| = |xi| which is finite. Thanks a lot.

This is a little late, but you might also notice that your first attempt was doomed to failure. To say <ai>=<aj> iff ai=aj only true in some groups (such as both of your examples). Consider Z_p for p prime. All non-identity elements generate the whole group. You might say that's because it's finite, but then consider Z_p x Z.

What is an infinite group?

An infinite group is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of elements that can be combined using a defined operation, such as multiplication or addition, to produce another element within the same set. Unlike finite groups, which have a limited number of elements, infinite groups have an infinite number of elements.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of elements from a larger group that, when combined using the same operation as the larger group, also produces an element within the larger group. In other words, a subgroup is a smaller group that is contained within a larger group.

How can an infinite group have infinite subgroups?

Since an infinite group has an infinite number of elements, there are also an infinite number of ways to combine those elements to form subgroups. This is because the operation used to combine elements can be applied to any subset of the infinite elements, resulting in a potentially infinite number of subgroups.

What is the significance of an infinite group having infinite subgroups?

The existence of infinite subgroups in an infinite group has important implications in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and group theory. It allows for the study of different structures and patterns within a single infinite group, leading to a deeper understanding of the group and its properties.

Can an infinite group have finite subgroups as well?

Yes, an infinite group can have both finite and infinite subgroups. In fact, every infinite group must have at least one finite subgroup, as it contains an infinite number of elements that can be combined in finite ways. However, an infinite group can also have an infinite number of infinite subgroups.