Why is the Doppler shift expression sometimes reversed?

In summary: Glad it helped!In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler shift equation and its different variations. The main focus is on the discrepancy between the two versions, which results from a difference in sign convention for the velocity of the source. The conversation also mentions the importance of defining the angle theta correctly and the use of the full-fledged equation for a better understanding of the relativistic Doppler effect. The conversation ends with a thank you note from the original poster.
Vuldoraq
Hello,

I am well and truly stumped on Doppler shift. The complete expression is

[tex]f'=f \gamma (1-\beta cos(\theta))[/tex]

where:

[tex]\beta=v/c[/tex]
[tex]v=source\ velocity[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between received photons (lab frame) and the direction of motion of the star.

Now for a directly receding source, where [tex]\theta=180^{0}[/tex] this gives the shifted frequency to be, after moving around,

[tex]f'=f*\sqrt{\frac{1+\beta}{1-\beta}}[/tex].

Now in a lot of textbooks this is the other way round ie,

[tex]f'=f*\sqrt{\frac{1-\beta}{1+\beta}}[/tex].

Why is this is so?? It's been giving me a headache for ages trying to figure it out.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is important to define correctly the angle theta. You could have an illujmiknating look at
Robert Resnick "Introduction to Special Relativity" John Wiley 1968 pp.82-87

For this entire post, assume that [itex]\nu = 1[/itex].

The reason for the discrepancy is that one case takes velocity to be negative when motion is in the direction away from the source:

[tex]v = -\frac{c}{2},[/tex]
[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \sqrt{\frac{1 - \frac{v}{c}}{1 + \frac{v}{c}}},[/tex]
[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \sqrt{\frac{1.5}{0.5}},[/tex]
[tex]\nu^\prime \approx 1.73.[/tex]

However, the other case takes velocity to be positive when motion is in the direction away from the source:

[tex]v = \frac{c}{2},[/tex]
[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \sqrt{\frac{1 + \frac{v}{c}}{1 - \frac{v}{c}}},[/tex]
[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \sqrt{\frac{1.5}{0.5}},[/tex]

I prefer to keep the velocity positive (a vector always has positive magnitude or length), which is how it works in the full-fledged version:

[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \frac{1 - \cos \theta \cdot \frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}.[/tex]

Using the parameters previously defined:

[tex]\theta = 180^\circ = \pi{\;}{\rm radians},[/tex]

[tex]\cos \theta = -1,[/tex]

[tex]v = \frac{c}{2},[/tex]

it is found, algebraically, that:

[tex]\nu^\prime = \nu \frac{1 + \frac{v}{c}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \nu \frac{\sqrt{1 + \frac{v}{c}}}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v}{c}}} = \nu \sqrt{\frac{1 + \frac{v}{c}}{1 - \frac{v}{c}}},[/tex]

I find that it is sometimes best to just forget the fancy algebraic equalities and work only with the full-fledged equation. Having only one equation to remember seems easiest to me.

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive me, I made a silly error. The angle [itex]\theta = \pi[/itex] means that the observer is moving directly toward the source, not away from it. I'm sure you probably caught that error.

Either way, the remainder of the post stands as is. Just replace any instances of "away" with "toward" and it should be all good.

This exemplifies the confusing nature of the limiting cases for me, and how only the full-fledged version really highlights the physical nature of the relativistic Doppler effect. ex: The numerator is simply a matter of a "cat-n-mouse" chase between the observer and the photon ([itex]1 - \cos \theta \cdot \frac{v}{c}[/itex]), and the denominator is simply a matter of the observer's kinematic time dilation ([itex]\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex]).

Last edited:
As shalayka mentioned, the difference is just a sign convention on if a positive v is towards or away. Whenever you make a calculation just check if you have a redshift for velocities away or a blueshift for velocities towards. If you got the wrong one then switch your sign and repeat, that's easier than trying to figure out which convention a given equation uses.

Vuldoraq said:
I am well and truly stumped on Doppler shift. The complete expression is

[tex]f'=f \gamma (1-\beta cos(\theta))[/tex]

where:

[tex]\beta=v/c[/tex]
[tex]v=source\ velocity[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\beta^{2}}}[/tex]
[tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between received photons (lab frame) and the direction of motion of the star.
In that form of the Doppler shift equation, the angle of the photons is measured in the source frame not the lab frame. The angle is with respect to the velocity of the observer (again, in the source frame). Thus a directly receding source will have [itex]\theta=0[/itex], not [itex]\theta=180[/itex].

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your many and varied answers to my question (especially Shalayka, all that Latex must have taken you ages, always takes me an eon to do!), it's cleared that problem up for me. :smile:

Vuldoraq

Last edited:
Vuldoraq said:
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your many and varied answers to my question (especially Shalayka, all that Latex must have taken you ages, always takes me an eon to do!), it's cleared that problem up for me. :smile:

Vuldoraq

It's really nice to be able to help. Plus, this effect is probably my favourite part about special relativity, so it was fun.

1. What is the Doppler shift?

The Doppler shift is a change in the frequency or wavelength of a wave as it is observed by an observer moving relative to the source of the wave. This phenomenon is commonly observed in sound waves, light waves, and other types of waves.

2. How does the Doppler shift work?

The Doppler shift is caused by the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the frequency of the wave will appear to increase, and if the source is moving away from the observer, the frequency will appear to decrease. This change in frequency is what we refer to as the Doppler shift.

3. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The terms "Doppler effect" and "Doppler shift" are often used interchangeably, but technically, the Doppler effect refers to the change in frequency of a wave due to the relative motion between the source and the observer, while the Doppler shift specifically refers to the change in frequency observed by the observer.

4. How is the Doppler shift used in science?

The Doppler shift is used in a variety of scientific fields, including astronomy, meteorology, and medical imaging. In astronomy, it is used to study the motion and properties of celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies. In meteorology, it is used to track the movement of storms and other weather patterns. In medical imaging, it is used to measure the flow of blood and other fluids in the body.

5. Can the Doppler shift be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Doppler shift can be observed in many aspects of everyday life. For example, the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance passes by is a result of the Doppler shift. The color of a car may also appear slightly different depending on whether it is moving towards or away from you, due to the Doppler shift of light waves. Additionally, the Doppler shift is used in radar technology to detect the speed and location of moving objects, such as cars on a highway.