Gaussian process & Brownian motion

In summary: Since each increment is normally distributed, a random vector of increments of Y(t) is also multivariate normal, and thus Y(t) is a Gaussian process.In summary, we have shown that Y(t) is a Gaussian process with mean 0 and covariance function t + 1/2. However, since the covariance function is not equal to t, we can conclude that Y(t) is not a standard Brownian motion.
shan

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\{ B(t) \}_{t \geq 0}[/tex] be a standard Brownian motion and [tex]U \sim U[0,1][/tex] and [tex]{Y(t)}_t\geq0[/tex] be defined by [tex]Y(t) = B(t) + I_{t=U}[/tex]. Verify that Y(t) is a Gaussian process and state its mean and covariance functions. Is Y(t) a standard Brownian motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I thought about doing this is look at the increments of Y(t), show that they are normally distributed, show that a random vector of increments of Y(t) is multivariate normal, conclude that Y(t) is Gaussian. If the mean is 0 and variance is t, then Y(t) is standard Brownian.

So for the increment between time r and r-1:
[tex]Y(t_r) - Y(t_{r-1}) = B(t_r) + I_{t_r=U} - B(t_{r-1}) - I_{t_{r-1}=U}
=B(t_r) - B(t_{r-1}) + I_{t_r=U} - I_{t_{r-1}=U}[/tex]

Where the first two terms are Normal(0,1) and the last two terms have this distribution:
[tex]0 P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U)
-1 P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} = U)
1 P(t_r = U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U)[/tex]

I know that the above is still normally distributed but I don't know how to work out the mean and variance. Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you are on the right track. To find the mean and variance of the increment of Y(t), we can use the properties of Brownian motion and the uniform distribution.

First, we know that the increment of a standard Brownian motion is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance t. Therefore, the first two terms in your expression, B(t_r) - B(t_{r-1}), have a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance t.

Next, we can look at the probabilities in the last two terms. We can see that the probability of t_r = U and t_{r-1} = U is the same as P(t_r = U)P(t_{r-1} = U) since U is uniformly distributed. This probability is equal to 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4.

Similarly, the probability of t_r = U and t_{r-1} ≠ U is equal to P(t_r = U)P(t_{r-1} ≠ U) = 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4. The same applies for the probability of t_r ≠ U and t_{r-1} = U.

Using these probabilities, we can calculate the mean and variance of the last two terms:
Mean = 0 * P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U) + (-1) * P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} = U) + (1) * P(t_r = U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U)
= 0 * (1/4) + (-1) * (1/4) + (1) * (1/4)
= 0

Variance = (0 - 0)^2 * P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U) + (0 - (-1))^2 * P(t_r \ne U \cap t_{r-1} = U) + (0 - 1)^2 * P(t_r = U \cap t_{r-1} \ne U)
= 0 * (1/4) + 1^2 * (1/4) + (-1)^2 * (1/4)
= 1/2

Therefore, the increment of Y(t) has a normal distribution with mean 0

1. What is the difference between Gaussian process and Brownian motion?

Gaussian process and Brownian motion are both stochastic processes, meaning they are mathematical models used to describe random phenomena. However, Gaussian process is a continuous-time process, while Brownian motion is a discrete-time process. Additionally, Gaussian process is a non-parametric model, meaning it does not make any assumptions about the underlying distribution of the data, while Brownian motion assumes a normal distribution.

2. What are the applications of Gaussian process and Brownian motion?

Gaussian process is commonly used in regression and prediction tasks, as well as in machine learning for modeling complex data. Brownian motion has applications in physics, finance, and other fields for modeling random movement or diffusion.

3. How are Gaussian process and Brownian motion related?

Gaussian process can be thought of as a continuous-time version of Brownian motion, where the time interval between observations approaches zero. In fact, Brownian motion can be derived from a limiting case of Gaussian process.

4. What is the role of covariance in Gaussian process and Brownian motion?

Covariance plays a crucial role in both Gaussian process and Brownian motion. In Gaussian process, the covariance function is used to determine the relationship between different data points, while in Brownian motion, the covariance matrix is used to model the random movement of particles.

5. Can Gaussian process and Brownian motion be used for time series analysis?

Yes, both Gaussian process and Brownian motion can be used for time series analysis. Gaussian process is particularly useful for modeling non-linear and non-stationary time series data, while Brownian motion is often used to model the random movement of stock prices over time.