Conservation of Momentum vs. Energy in sticking collisions

In summary, when two objects collide and stick together, momentum is conserved but kinetic energy is not. This is because some of the kinetic energy is lost to other forms such as sound, heat, and work done on the objects. The conservation of momentum can be easily measured with mass and velocity, but the conservation of energy is more complex and can result in various forms of energy.
Tibriel
Conservation of Momentum vs. Energy in "sticking" collisions

Homework Statement

So here's the deal I'm wondering why when you have a collision where the two objects stick together momentum is conserved but energy isn't. (or at least that's how I'm reading what my math is telling me)

Example problem: 2 cars going into a head-on collision that stick together upon contact
Car 1:
m = 10kg
v = 5m/s

Car 2
m = 10kg
v = -10m/s

What is the velocity after the collision assuming no energy is lost to Friction/sound/heat etc.

Homework Equations

p(before) = mv[car 1] + mv[car 2] = p(after) = (m + m)v [car 1&2 combined]
KE = (1/2)*mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well I get a p(total) = -50kgm/s
and a v(combined) = -2.5m/s
I get an inital KE of 375J (500J - 125J) and a final KE of 62.5J if I use the new velocity from the momentum equations

So why is energy decreased when they stick together?
My assumption is that the KE of each car gets decreased because they are doing work on each other. This explanation sounds incomplete to me. I'm thinking that the rest of the explanation involves the change in velocity for each car. Here both have a change of 7.5m/s

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Tibriel said:
Example problem: 2 cars going into a head-on collision that stick together upon contact
Car 1:
m = 10kg
v = 5m/s

Car 2
m = 10kg
v = -10m/s

What is the velocity after the collision assuming no energy is lost to Friction/sound/heat etc.
If the cars stick together then you cannot assume that no energy is "lost" to other forms. In fact, in such a perfectly inelastic collision the maximum amount of kinetic energy is lost.

Tibriel said:

Homework Statement

So here's the deal I'm wondering why when you have a collision where the two objects stick together momentum is conserved but energy isn't. (or at least that's how I'm reading what my math is telling me)

Car 1:
m = 10kg
v = 5m/s

Car 2
m = 10kg
v = -10m/s

Homework Equations

p(before) = mv[car 1] + mv[car 2] = p(after) = (m + m)v [car 1&2 combined]
KE = (1/2)*mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well I get a p(total) = -50kgm/s
and a v(combined) = -2.5m/s
I get an inital KE of 375J (500J - 125J) and a final KE of 62.5J if I use the new velocity from the momentum equations

So why is energy decreased when they stick together?
My assumption is that the KE of each car gets decreased because they are doing work on each other. This explanation sounds incomplete to me. I'm thinking that the rest of the explanation involves the change in velocity for each car. Here both have a change of 7.5m/s

Any help would be greatly appreciated

When there is a car collision do you hear the wreck? Because there's some sound energy that has to come from somewhere.

When you rapidly bend metal have you ever touched it? You will find that it is warmer I think.

If the car's wrap around each other how much force does it take to simply bend the frames and panels about and over what distances are these forces applied? But does any of that necessarily go back into kinetic energy?

In short all the energies have to come from somewhere, from the smallest like the sound it makes to the largest like what is needed to pretzel the frame. The result is that while momentum conservation can be easily measured still with mass (that didn't change) and velocity, these others are a little harder to quantify.

So the short answer is that momentum translates into momentum. But KE doesn't necessarily translate into KE as there are other forms of energy that it can result in.

What is conservation of momentum in sticking collisions?

In a sticking collision, the two objects involved stick together and move together after the collision. Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the momentum of the two objects combined will be the same before and after the collision.

What is conservation of energy in sticking collisions?

Conservation of energy states that the total energy of the system remains constant in a sticking collision. This means that the kinetic energy of the two objects before the collision will be the same as the kinetic energy of the combined object after the collision. However, some kinetic energy may be converted to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, during the collision.

How are conservation of momentum and energy related in sticking collisions?

Conservation of momentum and energy are both fundamental principles of physics that apply to sticking collisions. They are related in that both principles state that the total amount of a certain quantity (momentum or energy) remains constant in a sticking collision. However, they are independent principles and must both be considered in order to fully understand the behavior of objects in a sticking collision.

Are there any situations where conservation of momentum and energy do not apply in sticking collisions?

In a perfectly elastic collision, where no energy is lost to other forms, conservation of momentum and energy will always apply in sticking collisions. However, in real-world situations, there may be some energy loss due to factors such as friction or deformation of the objects involved. In these cases, conservation of momentum and energy may not hold exactly, but they can still be used as useful approximations.

Why is understanding conservation of momentum and energy important in sticking collisions?

Conservation of momentum and energy are important principles in understanding the behavior of objects in sticking collisions. By applying these principles, scientists can predict the motion and energy changes of objects after a collision, which is crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and even everyday activities such as driving. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how energy and momentum are conserved in different types of collisions.