How Can I Create Methanol Using Artificial Photosynthesis and Solar Energy?

• Thread starter BOKurz
  • Start date
In summary: Moreover, the system would not be stable enough for use in an automobile application. In summary, the conversation is about creating an artificial photosynthesis/fuel refinery system that uses solar energy and CO2 to produce methanol. However, the idea may not be feasible due to the inefficiency of making ethanol from hydrogen and carbon dioxide, and the instability of the system for use in automobiles.
BOKurz
I need help with an experiament...

Ok so I need help with a little project that I have been trying to figure out for a while now. I am attempting to create an artificial photosynthesis/fuel refinery system that uses solar energy and CO2 from the atmosphere to create a small amount of methanol. (This is only the beginning of an idea) First have a solar panel charging a car battery then the + and - wires from the battery are fed into a container of water (electrolysis) and have the container sealed so the gases (Hydrogen and Oxygen) do not mix and go out different tubes. Have the Hydrogen run through a tube and into a holding chamber and have the oxygen run back out into the atmosphere. Meanwhile have a Carbon Dioxide collector (made of Sodium Hydroxide covered vanes) collect CO2 and have the Carbon Dioxide run into the same holding chamber as the Hydrogen. and that is where I am stuck

The problems that i face are 1. Will this idea even work? 2. How do i get the Hydrogen and the Carbon Dioxide to bond to make Methanol? and 3. Would the system be stable enough to be used in an automobile application? so a vehicle could potentially create its own fuel.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas I would be glad to accept them.

Thanks,

Bryan

Chemistry news on Phys.org

It won't work for many reasons. First of all - as far as I know there is no reasonably efficient method of making ethanol from hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Hydrogen and carbon monoxide may work, but it requires high temperatures and pressures.

Hello Bryan,

Your experiment idea sounds very interesting and innovative. It is definitely worth exploring and testing to see if it is feasible.

To address your first question, it is difficult to determine if your idea will work without conducting experiments and gathering data. However, it is important to consider the laws of thermodynamics and the efficiency of the processes involved. It would also be helpful to do some research on existing methods of artificial photosynthesis and fuel production to see if your idea has been explored before.

Regarding your second question, the process of converting hydrogen and carbon dioxide into methanol is called methanol synthesis and it is a well-studied chemical reaction. It involves reacting the two gases over a catalyst, typically copper-based, at high temperatures and pressures. However, the success of this reaction depends on the purity and concentration of the gases, as well as the effectiveness of the catalyst. This is something that would need to be carefully considered and tested in your experiment.

Lastly, your third question raises an important point about the stability and practical application of your system. It would be important to consider factors such as the size and weight of the system, its energy efficiency, and potential safety concerns. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of alternative energy and fuel production to get their insights and feedback on your idea.

Overall, I think your experiment has great potential and I encourage you to continue exploring and refining your idea. Keep in mind the principles of scientific method and be sure to document and analyze your results carefully. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of an experiment?

An experiment is used to test a hypothesis or answer a research question. It allows scientists to gather data and evidence to support or refute their ideas.

2. What are the steps involved in conducting an experiment?

The steps of an experiment typically include: identifying the research question, forming a hypothesis, designing the experiment, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the data collected.

3. How do you ensure the validity of an experiment?

To ensure validity, an experiment should be carefully planned and controlled. Variables should be carefully defined and controlled, and potential sources of bias should be minimized. The experiment should also be repeatable by other scientists to verify the results.

4. What is the difference between a controlled experiment and a natural experiment?

A controlled experiment is one in which the researcher controls all variables except for one, which is manipulated to test the hypothesis. A natural experiment, on the other hand, takes advantage of naturally occurring situations to study the effects of variables. In this case, the researcher does not have control over the variables.

5. How do you communicate the results of an experiment?

The results of an experiment can be communicated through scientific publications, presentations at conferences, or through various forms of media. It is important to present the data and findings accurately and clearly, along with any limitations or implications of the results.