Introductory Pre-Calc or Calc textbooks

I'm definitely leaning towards Stewart's introductory pre-calculus or calculus textbook.In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for an introductory pre-calculus or calculus textbook in preparation for taking engineering calculus courses. The individual has a history of struggling with math but is determined to improve and is seeking tips and suggestions. A recommendation for Stewart's Calculus textbook is given, along with the suggestion to purchase solutions manuals and practice extensively to improve math skills.
datafiend
Hey all,

What would you recommend for an introductory pre-calc or calc textbook? I am considering going back to school and instead of taking the Business Calc class I took 10 years ago, (which I passed with a C) attempting the more rigorous engineering series Calculus Courses. It's been a while, but I'm sure my math phobia is still lingering after college. This is a challenge I've thought about for a while now.

Any recommendations or tips?

TIA

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Back when I was a freshman/sophmore I thought I was never going to understand calculus. 9 years later, I feel that I have a decent understanding of the subject matter. I used Calculus by Stewart. I heavily recommend buying the solutions manual(s) (only as guide when you can't advance on problems). Just remember that calculus introduces a lot of new notation that seems very advanced. It's not, you just have to become familiar with the notation.

Most importantly, you become proficient in math by practicing as many problems as possible. I believe that is the key to almost any math (for me anyway).

Thanks czelaya. I'll AMAZON it.

Practice makes perfect...

1. What is the difference between an introductory pre-calc textbook and a calculus textbook?

An introductory pre-calc textbook typically covers topics such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, which are necessary foundations for understanding calculus. A calculus textbook, on the other hand, focuses specifically on the concepts and applications of calculus, including limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. How do I know which textbook is right for me?

This depends on your current level of math knowledge and your ultimate goals. If you have a strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry, you may be ready for a calculus textbook. If you need to brush up on these topics, an introductory pre-calc textbook may be a better choice.

3. Are there any notable differences between different pre-calc or calc textbooks?

Yes, textbooks can vary in terms of organization, approach to teaching, and examples used. Some may have more practice problems or include technology such as graphing calculators. It's important to review the table of contents and sample pages to find a textbook that aligns with your learning style and needs.

4. Do I need to buy the newest edition of a textbook?

This ultimately depends on your instructor and their requirements. In general, newer editions may have updated examples or additional practice problems, but the core concepts and material will likely be the same as previous editions. If you are unsure, it's best to consult with your instructor.

5. Can I use an online or digital version of a textbook instead of a physical copy?

Again, this depends on your instructor's requirements. Some may allow the use of online or digital versions, while others may prefer a physical textbook. It's important to check with your instructor and also consider your own learning preferences before making a decision.