TA-ship into RA-ship - ettiquette of asking?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a TA in their physics department and has seen classmates switch from TA duties to be research assistants (RA) in experimental particle physics. The speaker is in theoretical particle physics and only their research advisor is involved in it. They are wondering if it is okay to ask their research advisor to fund them as an RA instead of a TA, and if it is necessary to address their lack of understanding in their field. The suggested approach is to bring it up during a meeting with their advisor to clarify department rules and any additional requirements. It is also important to address the lack of understanding before it becomes an issue in exams or defense. It is noted that it is uncommon for theoretical physics grad students to be supported by RAs in
bjnartowt
Hi all, I'm a TA at my physics department, and I've seen two of my classmates be freed of their TA-duties to be RA instead. They are experimental particle physics people. Experimental particle physics is big at our school. I am theoretical particle physics. Theoretical particle physics is not big at our school: only my research-advisor is into it.

Speaking of my research advisor: the stuff I'm supposed to know to do research for him is totally beyond me.

In that light: is it improper ettiquette to ask my research-advisor if he can devote funds to me so that I can be an RA instead of a TA? What's the proper way to go about these things?

BJN

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't ask.

You've already caught on to the fact that RA-ships cost your advisor money. He either doesn't have it, or doesn't want to spend it on you yet - your second paragraph may provide some explanation.

I don't see how there's any harm in asking. The next time you meet with him, just tell him that you're curious if switching from a TA to an RA is an option for you. Different departments have different rules and defaults about who will do what and when. Then at least you'll know where you stand.

As for the second point, this is something that needs to be addressed - and the sooner the better. You don't want that to come to light for the first time in your candidacy examination or your defence. You need to figure out if there is an extra course that you need to take (even at the senior undergrad level if necessary), or if you're doing enough background reading, and if your background reading is appropriate for your topic.

I don't know if I actually know of a theoretical physics grad student in my university's physics department that is supported by an RA.

:

As a scientist, it is important to always be professional and respectful in your interactions with your research advisor and colleagues. In this situation, it is understandable that you may feel envious or frustrated that your classmates were able to transition from TA to RA positions in a field that is more popular at your school. However, it is important to remember that everyone's research interests and funding opportunities may differ.

Before approaching your research advisor about potential funding for an RA position, it is important to have a clear understanding of your own research interests and goals. Have you discussed your research interests with your advisor and do they align with the work being done in your department? If not, it may be worth exploring other options or seeking out collaborations with other researchers who share your interests.

When discussing potential funding with your advisor, it is important to be open and honest about your intentions and goals. Express your interest in pursuing research in theoretical particle physics and explain how an RA position would benefit your academic and career development. Be sure to also clarify any concerns or questions you have about the expectations and responsibilities of the position.

In terms of etiquette, it is always best to approach these conversations with a respectful and professional tone. Avoid making comparisons to your classmates or implying that you deserve the position more than others. Instead, focus on your own qualifications and enthusiasm for the research. Your advisor will appreciate your honesty and dedication, and may be more inclined to support your transition to an RA position.

1. What is the proper way to ask for a TA-ship into an RA-ship?

The proper way to ask for a TA-ship into an RA-ship is to first approach your supervisor or department head and express your interest in transitioning from a TA to an RA. Be sure to highlight your qualifications and relevant skills, and explain why you would like to make the switch. It is also important to inquire about any available opportunities and to respectfully ask for their support in making the transition.

2. Is it appropriate to ask for a TA-ship into an RA-ship during the academic year?

It is generally more appropriate to ask for a TA-ship into an RA-ship during the summer or between academic terms, when there may be more available opportunities. However, if you have a strong reason for wanting to switch during the academic year, such as a change in research interests, it may be appropriate to discuss this with your supervisor or department head.

3. How should I approach my current supervisor about my interest in transitioning from a TA to an RA?

It is important to approach your current supervisor respectfully and professionally. Schedule a meeting to discuss your interest in transitioning and be prepared to explain your reasons and qualifications. It is also important to express your gratitude for the opportunity to work as a TA and to highlight any positive experiences you have had in the role.

4. Are there any potential conflicts of interest in moving from a TA-ship to an RA-ship?

There can be potential conflicts of interest in moving from a TA-ship to an RA-ship, especially if you will be working with the same supervisor or in the same department. It is important to discuss any potential conflicts with your supervisor and to find ways to manage them, such as recusing yourself from grading duties for courses you have previously TA-ed for.

5. What should I do if my request for a TA-ship into an RA-ship is denied?

If your request for a TA-ship into an RA-ship is denied, it is important to respect the decision and to try to understand the reasons for it. You can ask for feedback on how you can improve your chances in the future and continue to seek out other opportunities for research experience. It is also important to maintain a positive and professional attitude, as you may still be working with the same supervisor or department in the future.