Research question about magnetic properties of iron

In summary, the person has been tasked with finding the permeability of iron at a frequency of 10 kHz. They have searched various sources on the internet but the lowest frequency they could find was at 30 kHz. They are unsure of how to proceed and apologize for possibly providing too much information. A suggestion is given to look at the values for 30 kHz and DC, and to try linear interpolation. It is also suggested to check with manufacturers for a graph of mu vs frequency in a catalog. Finally, it is mentioned that the 10 kHz value is likely very close to the 30 kHz value.
jparr007
Hello, I have recently been tasked with finding the permeability of iron at a frequency of 10 kHz. I have never done research before, this is my first time, I been looking all over the internet (IEEE, elsevier, ScienceDirect, etc...) for anything that might give me information on the subject. The lowest frequency I could find was at 30 kHz no less than that. I had never posted on a physics forum before, if I posted too much useless information or talked too much I am sorry. I do not know who to turn to for this research question.

Physics news on Phys.org
jparr007 said:
Hello, I have recently been tasked with finding the permeability of iron at a frequency of 10 kHz. I have never done research before, this is my first time, I been looking all over the internet (IEEE, elsevier, ScienceDirect, etc...) for anything that might give me information on the subject. The lowest frequency I could find was at 30 kHz no less than that. I had never posted on a physics forum before, if I posted too much useless information or talked too much I am sorry. I do not know who to turn to for this research question.

You're fine.

Look at the values for 30KHz and the DC values. If they're close, try linear interpolation to get to the 10KHz value. If they're not close, keep looking on the internet. Your best source will be someplace that manufactures the material. They will probably have a graph of mu vs frequency in a catalog. The DC values should be available there.

p.s. The 10KHz value is probably very close to the 30KHz value. You can probably use it.

Last edited:

1. What is the research question about magnetic properties of iron?

The research question about magnetic properties of iron is: How does the composition and structure of iron affect its magnetic properties?

2. Why is it important to study the magnetic properties of iron?

Studying the magnetic properties of iron is important because iron is a widely used metal in various industries, and understanding its magnetic properties can help improve its performance and applications in technology and manufacturing.

3. What are the factors that affect the magnetic properties of iron?

The factors that affect the magnetic properties of iron include its composition, crystal structure, temperature, and external magnetic fields.

4. How do scientists measure the magnetic properties of iron?

Scientists typically use instruments such as magnetometers and SQUIDs (Superconducting Quantum Interference Devices) to measure the magnetic properties of iron. These tools can measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field generated by iron samples.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the magnetic properties of iron?

Studying the magnetic properties of iron can lead to advancements in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and renewable energy. It can also help in the development of new materials with improved magnetic properties for various applications.