Understanding Γ5 & Chiral Symmetry in QFT

The combination of these two transformations (parity and time-reversal) leads to the chiral symmetry in QFT, where gamma_5 plays a central role. The concept of gamma_5 as a chiral operator was first introduced by Eugene Wigner. In summary, the chiral symmetry in QFT is closely related to the properties of a chiral molecule under parity and time-reversal, and gamma_5 serves as a chiral operator in this context.
lihurricane
recently i am reading chiral symmetry in QFT. Almost all textbooks define γ5 as a chiral
operator without saying some reasons. i am very confused why γ5 has something to do with
chiral symmetry, can somebody explain it more intuitively and physically? who first introduce γ5 as a chiral operator? and i also want to
know what is a chiral transformation? is it a transformation for example which can transform a left-handed to a right-handed?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The states projected out by the projectors [tex] (1 \pm \gamma_5)/2 [/tex] can be seen to be interconverted into each other by the parity operator [tex] i \gamma_0 [/tex] as it anticommutes with gamma_5. On the other hand time reversal as given by [tex] i\gamma_1\gamma_3 [/tex] and taking the complex leaves these states invariant. Compare this to the properties of a chiral molecule under parity and time-reversal: under parity (space inversion), a D molecule will be transformed into an L molecule and vice versa, while time inversion leaves the chirality of the molecule the same.
The chirality transformation corresponds to a multiplication of these two components by phase factors [tex] \exp (\pm i \phi) [/tex].

1. What is the concept of chiral symmetry in quantum field theory (QFT)?

Chiral symmetry is a fundamental concept in QFT that describes the symmetries between left-handed and right-handed particles. It states that the laws of physics should be the same for particles with opposite chiralities, meaning that they spin in opposite directions relative to their momentum.

2. What is the role of the Γ5 matrix in chiral symmetry?

The Γ5 matrix, also known as the chirality operator, is a key component in understanding chiral symmetry in QFT. It acts on spinors, which describe the spin of a particle, and it distinguishes between left- and right-handed components. It is used to define the chiral projection operators that separate the left- and right-handed parts of a spinor.

3. How does chiral symmetry influence the behavior of particles in QFT?

Chiral symmetry plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and interactions of particles in QFT. It is a fundamental symmetry that must be taken into account when studying the behavior of elementary particles, and it has important implications for the conservation of certain quantities, such as parity and charge.

4. Can chiral symmetry be broken in QFT?

Yes, chiral symmetry can be broken in certain scenarios, such as at high temperatures or densities. This is known as spontaneous chiral symmetry breaking, and it can lead to the emergence of new particles and different physical phenomena. Understanding the breaking of chiral symmetry is a key area of research in QFT.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding chiral symmetry in QFT?

Chiral symmetry has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is crucial for understanding the behavior of fundamental particles and predicting their interactions, and it has also been used to explain phenomena like the strong nuclear force and the properties of exotic materials. Additionally, chiral symmetry plays a role in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing.