So, talk to me about the Cambrian Explosion por favor.

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, the "Cambrian Explosion" refers to a period in Earth's history where a large number of different species evolved in a relatively short period of time. This event, which took place approximately 540 million years ago, saw the emergence of over 40 new phyla in just 5 million years. The majority of species that have ever existed also appeared and died during this time. To learn more about this fascinating event, you can check out the book "Wonderful Life" by Stephen Jay Gould or visit the provided website for informative essays.
wasteofo2
So, talk to me about the "Cambrian Explosion" por favor.

Does anyone have a link to any interesting/informative essays, or feel like just typing some stuff about the Cambrian explosion? I've heard all sorts of fun stuff about it, like 40 or so phyla evolved in like 5 million years, the majority of the different species that have ever existed existed and died then etc. and I'd just like to learn more about it in general.

Thanks a lot for educating me better than my teachers ever could,
Jacob

Biology news on Phys.org
This site may be a good place to start. It's relatively brief, and without knowing what sort of depth you are looking for - or background you have - it's not easy to pick something 'just right' :smile:

wasteofo2 said:
Does anyone have a link to any interesting/informative essays, or feel like just typing some stuff about the Cambrian explosion? I've heard all sorts of fun stuff about it, like 40 or so phyla evolved in like 5 million years, the majority of the different species that have ever existed existed and died then etc. and I'd just like to learn more about it in general.

Thanks a lot for educating me better than my teachers ever could,
Jacob
I suggest the Gould's book entitled Wonderful Life. The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History. 1989.

What is the Cambrian Explosion?

The Cambrian Explosion refers to a period of time about 541 million years ago when there was a rapid diversification of animal life on Earth. This event marks the beginning of the Paleozoic era and is considered a major event in the history of life on our planet.

Why is the Cambrian Explosion significant?

The Cambrian Explosion is significant because it represents a major burst of evolution, with the appearance of complex and diverse animal forms that had not been seen before. This event also marks the first appearance of many animal groups that are still present on Earth today.

What caused the Cambrian Explosion?

The cause of the Cambrian Explosion is still debated among scientists. Some theories suggest that it was due to environmental changes, such as increased oxygen levels and the emergence of new habitats, while others propose that it was a result of genetic and developmental innovations.

How long did the Cambrian Explosion last?

The Cambrian Explosion is estimated to have lasted for about 20 million years, although some scientists believe that it may have occurred in multiple bursts over a longer period of time. This relatively short timespan is still considered rapid in terms of evolutionary events.

What evidence supports the Cambrian Explosion?

There is a wealth of fossil evidence that supports the Cambrian Explosion, including the sudden appearance of diverse animal body plans and the presence of hard body parts, such as shells and skeletons. This evidence also shows a significant increase in the complexity and diversity of life during this time period.