Impulsive Motion: Solving the Riddle

• Thread starter jimmykb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: The absorber may require more energy to be applied, but the resulting momentum and kinetic energy of the pendulum will not change. The sensor will measure the same impulse regardless of the presence of the absorber. In summary, the discussion revolves around the effect of an energy absorber placed between two bodies in contact, one of which is a pendulum. The consensus is that the kinetic energy of the pendulum will remain the same as long as the impulse remains the same, regardless of the presence of the absorber. The sensor will also measure the same
jimmykb
Dear all,

I get straight to the problem, that came out of a discussion with friends:

Two bodies are in contact with masses [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]. Body [tex]m_2[/tex] is a pendulum. An impulsive force acts on one end of the body m_1.

(so an [tex]F\Delta t[/tex] is applied).

The bodies are elastic, after the impulsive force they both have initial velocities.
As a result the impulse is equal to: [tex]I=F\Delta t=-m_1v_1+m_2v_2[/tex].
so the pendulum(body [tex]m_2[/tex]) will have an initial kinetic energ equal to[tex]0.5m_2v_2^2[/tex]. What will be the kinetic energy of the pendulum IF I place an absorber between the two bodies?
Is it going to be the same?? this riddle has been keeping me busy for a long time..
If I place a sensor to measure the contact force vs time between the bodies [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex] what will be the difference if there is an energy absorber in between??Is the sensor going to measure the same impulse??

Thank you all in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmykb said:
Two bodies are in contact with masses [tex]m_1[/tex] and [tex]m_2[/tex]. Body [tex]m_2[/tex] is a pendulum. An impulsive force acts on one end of the body m_1.

(so an [tex]F\Delta t[/tex] is applied).

The bodies are elastic, after the impulsive force they both have initial velocities.
If they are in contact for the time that the force is applied and they are rigid, they will have the same velocity after the force ends.
What will be the kinetic energy of the pendulum IF I place an absorber between the two bodies?
It will be the same if the impulse is the same. The momentum imparted depends only upon the applied Force and its duration. With the absorber in place, the application of that force for that time will require more energy (the force must act over a greater distance due to the compression of the absorber).

AM

1. What is impulsive motion?

Impulsive motion refers to the movement of an object that is caused by a sudden and brief force, such as a push or a collision.

2. How is impulsive motion different from regular motion?

Impulsive motion is characterized by a sudden change in velocity, while regular motion involves a constant or gradual change in velocity over time.

3. What is the formula for solving impulsive motion problems?

The formula for solving impulsive motion problems is FΔt = mΔv, where F is the force applied, Δt is the duration of the force, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

4. How do you calculate the change in velocity in impulsive motion?

The change in velocity in impulsive motion can be calculated by dividing the impulse (FΔt) by the mass (m) of the object. This is represented by the equation Δv = FΔt/m.

5. Can impulsive motion be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, impulsive motion is applicable to many real-world situations, such as car crashes, sports collisions, and rocket propulsion. It is an important concept in understanding the movement of objects in our everyday lives.