Young's Modulus (Finding Average Strain)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average strain in a steel spike when struck by a 30kg sledge hammer with given initial and final speeds and time of impact. The suggested solution involves manipulating equations for inertia and stress, but the modulus of elasticity of the steel spike is needed for an accurate calculation.
Big-oh

Homework Statement

A 30kg sledge hammer strikes a steel spike of 2.30 cm diameter while moving at 20.9 cm/s. The hammer rebounds with a speed of 10.0 cm/s after 0.110 s. What is the average strain in the spike during impact?

Mass of hammer = 30 kg
Radius of Spike = 1.15 cm or 0.0115m
Initial speed of hammer = 0.209 m/s
Final speed of hammer = 0.100 m/s
Time of impact = 0.110 s

Homework Equations

Y = Stress / Strain
Stress = Force Applied / Area Perpendicular
Inertia = Force * (Delta Time) = Change in Momentum = Mass * (Delta Speed)

The Attempt at a Solution

Manipulating the Inertia equations, I got that

Force = (Mass * (Delta Speed))/(Delta Time)

Dividing that by the Area of the head of the steel spike gives me the average stress during this time.

(Stress came out to be 2.03*10^5 N/m^2 for me)

I am confused as to how to find out the average strain without the Modulus of the steel spike. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
You might just need to look up the modulus of elasticity of steel and use it, otherwise, you can't really find it. It should be around 200 GPa if I remember correctly.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It describes the relationship between stress (force per unit area) and strain (deformation) in a material under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

You can calculate Young's Modulus by dividing the stress by the strain. The equation is E = σ/ε, where E represents Young's Modulus, σ represents stress, and ε represents strain. The units of Young's Modulus are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m²).

3. What is the significance of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials as it allows us to predict how they will behave under stress. It is commonly used in engineering and construction to ensure the strength and stability of structures. It also helps in selecting the right materials for specific applications.

4. How is Young's Modulus experimentally determined?

To determine Young's Modulus experimentally, a material is subjected to gradually increasing stress and the corresponding strain is measured. A graph is then plotted with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis. The slope of the linear portion of the graph is equal to Young's Modulus.

5. Can Young's Modulus change with temperature?

Yes, Young's Modulus can change with temperature. In general, as temperature increases, the modulus decreases. This is because the increased thermal energy causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, making it easier for them to deform under stress. However, some materials may exhibit different behavior, such as an increase in modulus with temperature, depending on their composition and structure.