Solving Problem about Sets with Heine-Borel & De Morgan's Law

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the problem is trying to use De Morgan's law and Heine-Borel theorem to prove that a set is bounded.
fourier jr
Here's the problem: "Let C be a collection of closed sets of real numbers with the property that every finite subcollection of C has a nonempty intersection, and suppose that one of the sets is bounded. Then, [tex] \bigcap_{F \in C}^F \neq \emptyset [/tex]"

I've used the Heine-Borel theorem on this, so the bounded set is compact, ie has a finite open cover, etc etc, and De Morgan's law to get the intersection of a bunch of closed sets, but I don't know where to go next. I think Heine-Borel & DeMorgan's law is on the right track, but I'm not sure how to use the fact that every finite subcollection of C has a nonempty intersection, for example.

I want to use this as a lemma to prove the real problem, which is this: "Let [tex]{F_n}[/tex] be a sequence of nonempty closed sets of real numbers with [tex]F_{n+1} \subset F_n[/tex]. Show that if one of the sets is bounded, then [tex] \bigcap_{i=1}^\infty {F_i} \neq \emptyset [/tex]"

(the instructor said we can use other problems not assigned, but we have to solve those too. if anyone can prove it directly, without using the previous prob, feel free to help out anyway :wink: )

Physics news on Phys.org
Hrm, I would think a proof by contradiction would be the best approach. Assume that the intersection is empty, and try to use compactness to construct a finite subcollection with empty intersection.

For your full problem, you can assume that all the [tex]F_n[/tex] are bounded, they are all bounded after some point and tossing out the (finite number of) earlier unbounded ones will have no effect on your final set.

You know [tex] \bigcap_{i=1}^k {F_i}[/tex] is non-empty for all k. You can use this to build a sequence in [tex]F_1[/tex]. What does it converge to? Can you show this point is in all your sets?

1. What is Heine-Borel Law in set theory?

Heine-Borel Law states that a set in a Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This means that for a set to be compact, it must contain all of its limit points and have a finite maximum distance between its elements.

2. How is Heine-Borel Law used to solve problems in set theory?

Heine-Borel Law is used in set theory to determine whether a set is compact or not. This information can then be used to prove or disprove certain statements about sets, such as the existence of a maximum or minimum value.

3. What is De Morgan's Law in set theory?

De Morgan's Law states that the complement of the union of two sets is equal to the intersection of their complements, and the complement of the intersection of two sets is equal to the union of their complements. In other words, it shows the relationship between the logical operations of "and" and "or" for sets.

4. How is De Morgan's Law used to solve problems in set theory?

De Morgan's Law is used in set theory to simplify and manipulate logical statements involving sets. It allows us to rewrite complex statements in a simpler form, which can be helpful in proving or disproving statements about sets.

5. Can Heine-Borel Law and De Morgan's Law be used together to solve problems in set theory?

Yes, Heine-Borel Law and De Morgan's Law can be used together to solve problems in set theory. For example, De Morgan's Law can be used to simplify a statement involving sets, and then Heine-Borel Law can be applied to determine the compactness of the resulting set. This can help in proving or disproving statements about sets.