Water molecules, surface tension and evaporation

In summary, the problem involves determining the number of water molecules per square cm, the diameter of a water molecule, and Avogadro's constant using given values for Qvap and S. The relevant equations are Q=Qvap*V and W=S*A. However, further guidance is needed to solve the problem.
mkerikss

Homework Statement

In this problem, the surface tension S represents the work done to the water when increasing the water's surface area. The vaporization temperature Qvap represents the energy needed per volume unit to vaporize water at 100 degrees Celsius. We imagine that water molecules form a cubic lattice so that each molecule interacts weakly with its six closest neighbours. At the surface of the water there is naturally one neighbour and interaction less for each molecule.

a) What is the amount of water molecules N per square cm when Qvap = 203*109 J/m3 and S = 0.072 J/m2?
b) What is the diameter of one water molecule, if the molecules are as compressed as possible?
c) Use these results to estimate Avogadro's constant, when you know that the water's molar concentration is 56 M (moles/litre)
d) Estimate Avogadro's constant by using the density of water, the weight of a single water molecule and the molar concentration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start with this problem. I think if get some help getting started from you guys I will figure out the rest eventually, but I really don't know how to approach this problem, so I'd appreciate your help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The relevant equations I can think of are:

Q=Qvap*V (heat used for vaporization of V)
W=S*A (work done to the water when increasing A)

But these equations come straight from Qvap and S, (or they can be figured out) so that's why I didn't include them in my original post, but anyway, here they are for a complete picture of the problem.

Is there anyone who knows how to proceed?

1. What is a water molecule?

A water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom bonded together. It has a unique structure, with the oxygen atom slightly negatively charged and the hydrogen atoms slightly positively charged, giving it polar properties.

2. How does surface tension work?

Surface tension is a phenomenon that occurs when water molecules at the surface of a liquid are more strongly attracted to each other than to the air molecules above them. This creates a "skin" or barrier on the surface, allowing certain objects to float or be supported by the surface tension.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

Surface tension can be affected by temperature, with colder water having a higher surface tension. It can also be affected by the presence of other substances, such as soap, which disrupts the attractive forces between water molecules.

4. How does evaporation occur?

Evaporation is the process by which water molecules at the surface of a liquid gain enough energy to break free and enter the gas phase. This can happen due to an increase in temperature, exposure to air movement, or a decrease in atmospheric pressure.

5. Why does water have a high evaporation rate?

Water has a high evaporation rate due to its unique properties. The polar nature of water molecules allows them to form hydrogen bonds with each other, making it easier for them to break free and enter the gas phase. Additionally, the high specific heat of water means that it can absorb a lot of heat energy without significantly increasing in temperature, allowing it to evaporate at lower temperatures compared to other substances.