Economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "economic physical methods" for surface treatment of plastics in order to improve the bond characteristics with cement and ultimately increase the mechanical strength of a plastic-based composite. The possibility of using flame treatment and additives in the cement is also mentioned as potential solutions.
sm.malkapur
"economic physical methods" for surface treatment of plastics

I am a material science student, working on a plastic based composite (reprocessed polyethylene solid form, mixed with cement). Initially, the mechanical strength of composite was lesser, probably because of the poor bond characteristics of plastic with cement.

So to improve composite’s strength, i used some physical surface treatment methods (surface made rough by abrading with sand paper) on my plastics, so that I can improve its bond characteristics, but i did not get much improvements in strength.

I can’t go for chemical treatment. Surface treatment methods like “Corona treatment” will be a bit uneconomical for me. Hence, I want to know, are there any alternative "economic physical methods" that can be effectively used for surface treatment of plastics.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

You might try flame treatment (flame polishing) followed by light abrasion. What kind of cement are you using and are you using any additives in the cement?

1. What is the purpose of using economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics?

The purpose of using economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics is to improve the surface properties of the plastic material, such as adhesion, wettability, and surface energy. This can enhance the performance and durability of plastic products and make them more suitable for various applications.

2. What are some examples of economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics?

Some examples of economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics include corona treatment, plasma treatment, flame treatment, and laser treatment. These methods use different forms of energy, such as electric discharge, ionized gas, and high temperature, to modify the surface of plastic materials.

3. How do economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics compare to chemical methods?

Economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics are generally more cost-effective and environmentally friendly compared to chemical methods. They do not require the use of harsh chemicals and can be easily integrated into existing production processes without significant modifications.

4. What are the main advantages of using economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics?

The main advantages of using economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics include improved surface properties, increased adhesion between plastic and other materials, enhanced printability and paintability, and reduced manufacturing costs. These methods also do not leave any residue or harmful by-products.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks of economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics?

Some limitations of economic physical methods for surface treatment of plastics include the need for specialized equipment, limited ability to treat complex shapes and surfaces, and potential damage to sensitive materials. They also require a certain level of expertise to ensure proper treatment and may not be suitable for all types of plastics.