Solving Vector Equation: (2i - 3j + 4k) X A = (4i +3j - k)

• Thread starter skiboka33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, The conversation discusses a student's claim of finding a vector A that satisfies a given cross product equation. The participants discuss different methods to verify the validity of the claim, including calculating the cross product and dot product of the vectors involved. Ultimately, it is concluded that there are multiple ways to solve the problem and the conversation ends with a discussion on the usefulness of showing alternative methods.
skiboka33
Kind of a weird question , don't really understand it:

"A student claims to have found a vector A such that:
(2i - 3j + 4k) X A = (4i +3j - k). Do you believe this claim?

thanks for your help...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to see if you can find some vector A, such that the given cross product is valid. Simply compute the cross product for a general vector

A = (A1,A2,A3)

Does this vector exist?

Alternatively, try to apply the fact that the cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to both of the vectors crossed.

yeah, just seems like for any two crossed vectors there will always be one perpendicular to both of them, isn't that the case??

Yes,the three vectors involved in:
[tex] \vec{A}\times \vec{B}=\vec{C} [/tex]

form a trirectangular trihedron...I hope u know that you problem assumed solving a 3-3 algebraic system...

Daniel.

So, since the reputed cross product must be perpendicular to both the other two vectors, the dot product between the (reputed) cross product vector and the other vector you know must be..?

skiboka33 said:
Kind of a weird question , don't really understand it:

"A student claims to have found a vector A such that:
(2i - 3j + 4k) X A = (4i +3j - k). Do you believe this claim?

thanks for your help...

The cross-produkt of two vectors is always perpendicular to both the vectors of which you calculate the cross-produkt.
in:
[tex]v1 \times v2 = v3[/tex]
v3 is perpendicular to both v1 and v2

the dot-produkt of two perpendicular vectors is zero, so in your case
[tex](2, -3, 4)\cdot(4, 3, -1)[/tex]
should be zero, but it is -5.

Calculate the cross product of your first vector and A.
You'll end up with 3 equations, one for each component.
Set these equations to equal the respective components of your final vector.
Then try and solve the equations simultaneously.
If there is a solution, then the vector A exists.

It's the same advice i gave...It leads to the result,eventually...Unforunately for us,there's a much shorter and "brighter" way.Both Arildno and Gerben pointed it out...

Daniel.

Of course calculating the dot product is a much easier way to solve the problem.
However, I think it is useful to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat, especially when they don't seem to grasp the first method.

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that involves vectors, which are mathematical objects that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are often represented as arrows in space and can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by a scalar.

2. What does (2i - 3j + 4k) X A = (4i +3j - k) mean?

This equation means that the cross product of the vector (2i - 3j + 4k) and the vector A is equal to the vector (4i +3j - k). In other words, it is saying that the result of multiplying these two vectors together is equal to the third vector.

3. How do you solve this vector equation?

To solve this vector equation, you can use several methods including the determinant method, the geometric method, or the component method. These methods involve finding the cross product of the two vectors and equating it to the third vector, and then solving for the unknown vector A.

4. What is the importance of solving vector equations?

Solving vector equations is important in many fields of science and engineering, as vectors are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and acceleration. Being able to solve vector equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in space.

5. Can this vector equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this vector equation can have multiple solutions. The unknown vector A can have different magnitudes and directions that satisfy the equation. Additionally, the cross product is not commutative, meaning that if you swap the order of the vectors, you may get a different solution for A.