Magnetic Field of a rotating point charge

In summary: However, in quantum mechanics, electrons have a property called spin, which can be thought of as a kind of intrinsic rotation, and this can produce a magnetic moment. Therefore, a point-like charged particle can have a magnetic field due to its spin. In summary, a point-like charged particle rotating in one place may have a magnetic field due to its spin, but not due to its stationary charge. This concept involves quantum mechanics and is still an area of active research.
ZingZang
Not sure if this should be in quantum section, please move if necessary.

We know that:
1. A stationary particle with charge q is not affected by an external magnetic field. We can assume this particle is not magnetic at all, since it would allign and travel in relation to the magnetic effect. Correct?
2. A charged particle, moving at velocity v, is affected magnetically : F=qv X B
3. A rotating charged sphere is also affected, we can picture charges on the surface of the sphere rotating at a speed "v", so it's similar to above.

My question:
What about a charged particle rotating in one place . i.e not moving, only rotating? It has an electric field, because it has charge, and the field thus rotates too.
Will it now have a magnetic field? Will it be affected by an external magnetic field?

My thinking is that we cannot assume the size of the particle as zero, since it has a charge, and a charge requires a surface or volume to exist in, it doesn't exist in zero space. If we thus imagine the point particle as an infinitely small sphere, can we make some sense out of the math of existing equations? Has anyone come across a solution for this?
I am particularly interested in the potential energy and forces involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about a charged particle rotating in one place . i.e not moving, only rotating? It has an electric field, because it has charge, and the field thus rotates too.
Will it now have a magnetic field? Will it be affected by an external magnetic field?
If the charge is distributed throughout some non-zero volume (the particle is a small ball), the answer is yes to both questions, because there is non-zero electric current.

My thinking is that we cannot assume the size of the particle as zero, since it has a charge, and a charge requires a surface or volume to exist in, it doesn't exist in zero space. If we thus imagine the point particle as an infinitely small sphere, can we make some sense out of the math of existing equations? Has anyone come across a solution for this?
I am particularly interested in the potential energy and forces involved.

The charge can be distributed in a volume or it can be concentrated to a point; these are equally valid but different cases. In case of point-like charge, there is no electric current and so the magnetic field of a stationary particle and its reaction to external magnetic filed should be zero.

1. What is a rotating point charge?

A rotating point charge is a hypothetical particle that has both electric charge and angular momentum. It is often used in theoretical models to explain the behavior of particles in electromagnetic fields.

2. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be observed. It is created by the movement of charged particles and can interact with other magnetic fields or with electric fields.

3. How is a magnetic field created by a rotating point charge?

A rotating point charge creates a magnetic field through its angular momentum, which is the measure of its rotation around an axis. As the charge rotates, it creates a changing electric field, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field created by a rotating point charge?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a rotating point charge is perpendicular to both the direction of the charge's rotation and the direction of its velocity. This is known as the right-hand rule.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field change as the rotating point charge moves?

The strength of the magnetic field created by a rotating point charge depends on its distance from the charge and the rate of its rotation. The closer the point charge is to the observer, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Additionally, the faster the charge rotates, the stronger the magnetic field will be.