Calc III/ Diffeq Without Calc II

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking calc III or Diffeq without having taken Calc II, and the importance of having a strong foundation in calc II for success in calc III. It is mentioned that calc II is a prerequisite for calc III and that knowledge of integration techniques from calc II is necessary for Diff eq. It is emphasized that prerequisites are important for a reason.
ialan731
Hey Everyone!

So basically my question is if it's possible to take calc III or Diffeq without having taken Calc II. I know a decent amount of Calc II but I'm not 100% sure of everything that it covers. If it would be possible, which class would be easier? I know that it definitely depends on the school you're taking it at but a general idea would still help a lot. Of course I'm willing to put in the time, but I don't want to have to put in more time than it's worth because I'd have to teach myself Calc II.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience in calc III, you're going to need quite a bit of calc II to do well. Calc III is basically calc II extended to three variables.

Calc II is a prerequisite to calc III. You need calc II. Also, Diff eq needs integration techniques from calc II. Prerequisites exist for a reason

1. What is the difference between Calc III and Diffeq Without Calc II?

Calc III is a course that focuses on multivariable calculus, including topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. Diffeq Without Calc II is a course that covers differential equations without the prerequisite of completing Calc II. This means that it may cover less advanced topics and may have a different approach to teaching differential equations.

2. Can you take Calc III without taking Diffeq Without Calc II?

Yes, it is possible to take Calc III without taking Diffeq Without Calc II. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in both calculus and differential equations in order to succeed in Calc III.

3. What are some real-world applications of Calc III and Diffeq Without Calc II?

Calc III has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving multiple variables and functions. Diffeq Without Calc II is also used in various fields, particularly in modeling and predicting the behavior of systems in physics, biology, and engineering.

4. How can I prepare for Calc III and Diffeq Without Calc II?

To prepare for Calc III, it is important to have a strong understanding of single-variable calculus, including topics such as derivatives and integrals. For Diffeq Without Calc II, it is helpful to review concepts from Calc I and II, such as solving equations and understanding graphs of functions.

5. Are there any online resources for learning Calc III and Diffeq Without Calc II?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Calc III and Diffeq Without Calc II. These include websites with video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tools. It is also helpful to utilize textbooks and online forums for additional practice and support.