Solving Low Resistance Problem to Generate Magnetic Field

• Thread starter Vikas_Madhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the coil has low resistance and when using a sinusoidal wave form from a function generator, X and Z at different frequencies measured were like this: freq: X: Z: 1Khz 0.07669
Vikas_Madhu
I want to generate magnetic field around a coil.. For this am giving input a sinusoidal wave form from function generator. But the coil(18AWG cu) wire is not drawing much current as the coil has low resistance. When i calculated X and Z at different frequencies they are like this

freq: X : Z
100 0.00771 0.0775
1Khz 0.07669 0.1088
100Khz 7.51 7.51
1Mhz 74.03 74.05

how can i eliminate the problem of low resistance, i think it is acting as short ciruit.. while measuring in LCR meter i even found that my capacitance values are negative how it will happen like this? how can i achieve good field around the coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is low resistance then you should be drawing a lot of current. Do you know the resistance of the coil and the impedance of your voltage source? Can your voltage source act as a current source?

From the above measured values i can see that the resistance is almost negligible... I am using function generator from agilent it has impedance 50 ohms

Then you should make sure to match your coil to 50 Ohms also.

How can we make it match with 50 ohm i can't use impedance matching circuit like cc amplifier because i am using at 10MHz .. is there any other solution for that

Vikas_Madhu said:
I want to generate magnetic field around a coil.. For this am giving input a sinusoidal wave form from function generator. But the coil(18AWG cu) wire is not drawing much current as the coil has low resistance.
If you were to settle on using a particular frequency, then you could arrange for the coil to be the L in an LC tuned circuit resonant at that frequency. In a parallel resonant circuit, the current flowing in the inductor can be hundreds of times that drawn from the external circuit. Couple energy into the inductor using an impedance-matching tap partway up the coil. Keep safety in mind. Prepare insulation for high voltages; the voltage is magnified by the same factor as is the current. High quality, high voltage capacitors are required.

If you intend drawing a lot of energy from the magnetic field, then this will probably defeat what I've suggested.

As for your low current: if your signal source has an impedance of 50Ω, and voltages are around 10V, then it can't supply more than ⅕A anyway.

Vikas_Madhu said:
How can we make it match with 50 ohm i can't use impedance matching circuit like cc amplifier because i am using at 10MHz .. is there any other solution for that
An RF transformer.

NascentOxygen said:
If you were to settle on using a particular frequency, then you could arrange for the coil to be the L in an LC tuned circuit resonant at that frequency. In a parallel resonant circuit, the current flowing in the inductor can be hundreds of times that drawn from the external circuit. Couple energy into the inductor using an impedance-matching tap partway up the coil. Keep safety in mind. Prepare insulation for high voltages; the voltage is magnified by the same factor as is the current. High quality, high voltage capacitors are required.

If you intend drawing a lot of energy from the magnetic field, then this will probably defeat what I've suggested.

As for your low current: if your signal source has an impedance of 50Ω, and voltages are around 10V, then it can't supply more than ⅕A anyway.

My application is to transfer 1- 2watts power to a distance of atleast 1meter so do you think parallel resonant circuit works better for me..? and can you explain little more about impedance matching tap ... thing or can you provide any link where i can get an idea of it..?

Here is a decent reference on this topic. The context is MRI receive coils, but it should work for your application too, just you are doing high power:

www.measurement.sk/Papers3/andris-2.pdf

And here is another reference with a little more background:
http://www.stanford.edu/~jbarral/CoilDesign.html

Last edited by a moderator:
DaleSpam said:
Here is a decent reference on this topic. The context is MRI receive coils, but it should work for your application too, just you are doing high power:

www.measurement.sk/Papers3/andris-2.pdf

And here is another reference with a little more background:
http://www.stanford.edu/~jbarral/CoilDesign.html

Thank u sir for your information

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is low resistance and why does it affect magnetic field generation?

Low resistance refers to the ease with which electricity can flow through a material. In the context of magnetic field generation, low resistance can cause a decrease in the strength of the generated magnetic field. This is because low resistance allows electricity to flow more easily, reducing the amount of energy available to create a magnetic field.

2. How do I know if I have a low resistance problem in my magnetic field generation?

One way to detect a low resistance problem is to measure the current flowing through the system. If the current is lower than expected, it could be an indication of a low resistance issue. Additionally, if the magnetic field strength is not meeting expectations, it could also be a sign of low resistance.

3. What are some common causes of low resistance in magnetic field generation?

One common cause of low resistance is using materials with high conductivity, such as copper, for the wires or coils used in the generation process. Another cause could be the presence of impurities or defects in the materials, which can increase their conductivity and decrease resistance. Additionally, incorrect wiring or circuit design can also contribute to low resistance.

4. How can I solve a low resistance problem in magnetic field generation?

There are several ways to address a low resistance problem. One approach is to use materials with lower conductivity, such as aluminum or steel, for the wires or coils. Another solution is to increase the length or thickness of the wires, which can increase resistance. Additionally, proper circuit design and using materials with high resistivity, like nichrome or tungsten, can also help solve low resistance issues.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with solving a low resistance problem in magnetic field generation?

Yes, there are some potential risks to consider when addressing a low resistance problem. These may include higher costs for materials, longer production times, and the need for specialized equipment or expertise. It is important to carefully evaluate the risks and benefits before implementing a solution to a low resistance problem.