How can I determine engine cylinder pressure during a compression stroke?

In summary, to find out much pressure occurs during a compression stroke of an engine, you need to know the stroke, bore, compression ratio, and engine temperature.
5.0stang
I would like to find out how to find out much pressure occurs during a compression stroke of an engine. I'm using this to help compute sideloading information from different rod ratios.

What exactly is needed?

Stroke? Bore? Cam specs (opening and closing events)? Compression ratio? Etc?

To make it simple, I would like to find peak pressure to keep it simple?

Also, what is needed to find out how hot it gets in the combustion chamber? I thought I had read somewhere that it gets to 2,000 degrees?

Thanks for helping a newb:)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculating it would be near impossible because the cylinder head is not an easy geometric shape where you can figure out the volume. Plus as an engine wears compressed air/fuel can blowby the rings and valves, decreasing the actual compression. The only real way to find out is to do an acutal compression test on each cylinder.

Well let's say you get 150psi on all 8 cylinders.

This of course doesn't take into account the "spark"...which is heat and creates a lot more pressure.

I figured you could take intake valve closing points (dyanamic compression starts) with IC engine temps at first combustion and this and that...and you could get an "idea"...not exact.

Let's say the cylinder head is 58cc's.

Stang, you're not easily going to be able to calculate peak cylinder pressures. You might be able to have a play with looking at how much heat is released by the fuel into the charge, how much this would cause the gas to expand, and how much heat is rejected by the engine, but you're not going to be very accurate, and it certainly won't give you a value which you could use to base any other calculations on. At the very least you'd need to do some pretty intensive CFD work to get anywhere close.

Can I ask exactly what you're trying to accomplish?

I was going to use it in a formula to see how much sideloading was present with certain engines and there rod ratios. I have the formula and help from Q Goest, he was very helpful.

I was just seeing if I could get a better idea in what might be a more accurate number to put in for cylinder pressure.

It's a difficult one to calculate, because instantaneous cylinder pressure depends not only on cylinder volume change due to the pistons' movement, but in heat transfer to the cylinder block, flow around crevices, and leakage, not forgetting the combustion event itself.

If you have an engine, I'd take some measurements rather than even attempting to calculate PCP, they're easy enough.

My advice is to look at "IC engines Fundamentals" of Heywood. He calculates REAL Otto Cycles, taking into account both combustion and compression.

The usual value of peak pressure is about 10 atmospheres.

That book would probably be a good idea, I just don't need to shell out money for it.

Yeah, I know aluminum vs. iron heads can change it slightly...or quench area...but I was just seeing if there was a more accurate way of determining cylinder pressure. I wasn't wanting an exact. To many variables.

The accurate way to determine cylinder pressure is to measure it. Or, ask someone who's measured it already. :wink:

Ooh, and Clausius' book recommendation is definitely a goer, it'll serve you for life. I think Clausius' estimate for a general peak pressure is low though. (Mate, did you get that from the Rassweiler & Withrow section by any chance?!)

Last edited:
So how would I measure it?

The only way I know of is with a compression checker...but that doesn't take into the account of heat expansion (pressure).

Thanks guys:)

A pressure transducer fitted to a tapped drilling in the head.

brewnog said:
The accurate way to determine cylinder pressure is to measure it. Or, ask someone who's measured it already. :wink:

Ooh, and Clausius' book recommendation is definitely a goer, it'll serve you for life. I think Clausius' estimate for a general peak pressure is low though. (Mate, did you get that from the Rassweiler & Withrow section by any chance?!)

I don't remember. I am only giving an order of magnitude (you know, I am fluid mechanics people, we only give orders of magnitude :biggrin: ). But I remember to have written in an exam around 15 atmospheres as the peak pressure. :rofl:

They say engineers round pi to 3. Well you fluids people round it to 1!

Yeah, basically for us [tex]\pi\sim O(1)[/tex] :rofl:

brewnog said:
A pressure transducer fitted to a tapped drilling in the head.

And don't forget to use a gage that locks on peak pressure or the reading will fluctuate so fast, you'll never be able to record the number.

Plan B: Install a check valve in the line.

Nope, not a gauge, a transducer. The peak will be over so quickly a gauge would never be accurate enough.

1. What is engine cylinder pressure?

Engine cylinder pressure refers to the amount of force exerted by the combustion of fuel and air inside an engine's cylinder. This pressure is essential for powering the engine and generating motion.

2. How is engine cylinder pressure measured?

Engine cylinder pressure is typically measured using a specialized tool called a pressure gauge. This gauge is inserted into the spark plug hole of the cylinder and measures the pressure created by the combustion process.

3. What is considered a normal engine cylinder pressure?

The exact normal range of engine cylinder pressure varies depending on the make and model of the engine. However, in general, a healthy engine should have a compression pressure of around 120-180 psi (pounds per square inch) for gasoline engines and 350-550 psi for diesel engines.

4. What can cause low engine cylinder pressure?

There are several potential causes of low engine cylinder pressure, including worn or damaged piston rings, a blown head gasket, or a faulty valve. These issues can lead to incomplete combustion and reduced pressure inside the cylinder.

5. How can engine cylinder pressure be improved?

To improve engine cylinder pressure, it is important to properly maintain the engine and address any underlying issues that may be causing low pressure. This can include regular oil changes, replacing worn or damaged components, and ensuring proper fuel and air flow to the engine.