Of the three main sciences: physics, bio and chem which did YOU find hardest

In summary: I also think that it's easier to learn if you enjoy the subject. I am in computer engineering and I think it's a great combo with psychology. I would never want to do anything else.
crazco
i wonder if many people like me and think it physics that very hard and bio easiest.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing most people will agree. Physics and math are difficult because they actually test your ability to think and learn. Many subjects just test your discipline, and not at a very high level.

crazco said:
i wonder if many people like me and think it physics that very hard and bio easiest.
I might be the odd person out then, 'cause chemistry's always been my worst subject (of the three), probably 'cause I couldn't relate stuff back to the physical world quite so easily as with the other two fields.

Last edited:
Chem and bio

I'm not a fan of chemistry... at least, not the homework and tests

i think it probably depends on how your brain is wired, which you find easier. is your brain left/masculine, or right/feminine, or somewhere in between? i would expect physics to be the most left/masculine, bio the most right/feminine, and chemistry in the middle, requiring more balance of the two thinking styles.

Proton Soup said:
is your brain left/masculine, or right/feminine, or somewhere in between
Female here, always rocked out bio and do well enough in physics to be finishing an engineering degree, never managed chemistry quite as well. I think some people just don't lean towards some fields and that's about it. And generally I'm the biggest cheerleader for/participant in inter-disciplinary stuff, so I don't think it's the left/right divide either.

story645 said:
Female here, always rocked out bio and do well enough in physics to be finishing an engineering degree, never managed chemistry quite as well. I think some people just don't lean towards some fields and that's about it. And generally I'm the biggest cheerleader for/participant in inter-disciplinary stuff, so I don't think it's the left/right divide either.

that's an interesting combination. are you in bioengineering?

It has to do with how much you enjoy the subject. I've always hated english so I did poorly even though my engineering classes are probably 5x1 workload more. If you don't enjoy it, you don't pay attention or love to learn. So you do bad... This is why my gpa actually is raising when I do high level engineering instead of gen eds.

Proton Soup said:
are you in bioengineering?
Computer engineering, where girls are few and far between. I also have enough credits for a major in psychology, am a writing tutor, and will hopefully be starting a PhD in computer science next year. It works really well together if you think about it hard enough. And way back when I started, I wanted to make electronic children's toys.

Biology. No contest. How do people manage to memorize the functionality of the components of the nephron or the functions of glucocorticoids without getting major headaches?

story645 said:
Computer engineering, where girls are few and far between. I also have enough credits for a major in psychology, am a writing tutor, and will hopefully be starting a PhD in computer science next year. It works really well together if you think about it hard enough. And way back when I started, I wanted to make electronic children's toys.

I thought most people come to Comp/Elec to avoid Chemistry/Biology.

I hate Bio/Chem passionately without any reason. I neither like pure math or physics but tend to work backwards from an application problem towards the theory.

What is the most difficult aspect of studying physics?

The most challenging aspect of studying physics is the use of complex mathematical equations and calculations to solve problems and explain phenomena. Many students struggle with grasping the mathematical concepts and applying them to real-world scenarios.

What makes biology a challenging subject for some students?

Biology is a vast subject with a lot of information to memorize, including scientific terms, processes, and classifications. It also requires critical thinking skills to understand the interconnectedness of living organisms and their environments, which can be challenging for some students.

Why do some students find chemistry difficult?

Chemistry is a subject that requires a strong understanding of math and abstract thinking. It also involves visualizing molecular structures and bonding, which can be challenging for some students. The use of lab equipment and performing experiments also adds another layer of difficulty for some.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only about studying motion and forces. In reality, physics is a broad subject that encompasses many other areas, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Another misconception is that physics is only for the "geniuses" and is not accessible to everyone.

How can students overcome the challenges of studying bio, chem, and physics?

To overcome the challenges of studying these subjects, students should make use of available resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. They should also practice regularly and seek help from their teachers or tutors when needed. Developing a strong foundation in math and critical thinking skills can also aid in understanding these sciences.