Which major is best for this field?

• Programs
  • Thread starter div4200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Major
In summary, the person is struggling to choose between a dual major in chemical engineering and physics or a dual major in electrical engineering and physics. Their primary interest is solid-state physics. It is suggested that a dual major in physics and electrical engineering with a focus on condensed matter physics and materials science would be most appropriate. Resources such as NanoHub may also be helpful in exploring these fields.
div4200
Hello everybody. I am having trouble deciding on my major. Right now it's narrowed down between a dual major in chemical engineering and physics OR a dual major in electrical engineering and physics. My primary interest is solid-state physics (superconductors, quantum properties of solids, etc.). Which dual-major would be more appropriate? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just single major in Physics then?

div4200 said:
Hello everybody. I am having trouble deciding on my major. Right now it's narrowed down between a dual major in chemical engineering and physics OR a dual major in electrical engineering and physics. My primary interest is solid-state physics (superconductors, quantum properties of solids, etc.). Which dual-major would be more appropriate? Thanks in advance!
Physics with a focus on condensed matter physics and materials science.

If you are set on doing a dual major,, Then Physics + Electrical engineering should go nicely.
Electrical Engineering deals with Semiconductor Devices (including so called quantum/nano-transistors) & even sometimes some superconductivity (e.g. superconducting devices). This also covers sometimes dealing with the study of materials (solids, amorphous, organics 'for OLED').

You can look at NanoHub: http://www.nanohub.org
Over there, most topics are of interest to Electrical Engineers & Physicists.

I understand the difficulty in choosing a major that aligns with your interests and career goals. In this case, both options of a dual major in chemical engineering and physics or electrical engineering and physics can provide a strong foundation for a career in solid-state physics. However, it ultimately depends on your specific interests and the type of work you hope to pursue in this field.

If your primary interest is in superconductors and quantum properties of solids, then a dual major in chemical engineering and physics may be more appropriate. Chemical engineering involves the study of materials and their properties, which is crucial in understanding and developing new materials for superconductors. Additionally, chemical engineering also involves the study of thermodynamics and kinetics, which are important concepts in solid-state physics.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in the electrical and electronic aspects of solid-state physics, then a dual major in electrical engineering and physics may be a better fit. Electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electronic devices and systems, which are essential in the field of solid-state physics. This major can provide a deeper understanding of the principles behind electronic devices and how they function.

Ultimately, both options can provide a strong foundation for a career in solid-state physics. I would recommend researching the course curriculum for each major and speaking with advisors or professors in both departments to gain a better understanding of which major aligns more closely with your interests and career goals. Best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is the best major for a career in science?

The best major for a career in science depends on your specific interests and goals. Some common majors for science careers include biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and interests.

2. Can I pursue a career in science with any major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career in science with any major. While some majors may be more directly related to certain fields of science, many science careers value a diverse range of backgrounds and skills. It's important to gain experience and skills in your chosen field through internships, research opportunities, and coursework.

3. Is it better to have a specific major for a specific science field?

In some cases, having a specific major for a specific science field can be beneficial. For example, if you want to pursue a career in marine biology, a major in marine biology or a related field would provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills. However, there are also many science careers that value a broad range of skills and experiences, so having a specific major may not be necessary.

4. How can I choose the best major for my intended career in science?

To choose the best major for your intended career in science, it's important to research different fields of science and the types of jobs available within those fields. Consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when making your decision. You can also speak with academic advisors, professors, and professionals in the field to gain insights and advice.

5. Can I switch majors if I decide that my current major is not the best fit for a career in science?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors if you decide that your current major is not the best fit for a career in science. Many universities have resources and support for students who want to change their major. It's important to carefully consider your options and speak with academic advisors to ensure a smooth transition.