Designing a Cap to Stop Fluid Flow from an Underwater Pipe

In summary: It might stretch, potentially damaging the pipe.In summary, the device a person could construct to stop the water flow from a 4.1 cm diameter pipe with water flowing out at 2 bar is already constructed, but designing a cap that can be brought down with an ROV and installed is a challenge.
Shaun_W
"Capping" fluid flow from pipe

If there is a 4.1cm diameter pipe located ~10m underwater, with water (negligible volume and mass flow rates - the water is only really trickling out) flowing out of it at 2 bar (so 1 bar difference in water and ambient pressure), does anyone have any rough ideas for a device I could construct to stop the water from flowing?

A suitable ROV has already been constructed; getting this device or "cap" down there is absolutely no problem. But I am completely baffled as to how to actually go about designing this cap!

Help much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Um, just crimp it? The answer depends a lot on the details of the pipe.

I guess if you wanted to be clever you could make some kind of bung that grips onto the inside of the pipe under pressure from the water. I imagine some kind of flexible tube with a closed end. If there's enough tube area, then no matter how high the pressure, the friction to the pipe wall can always exceed the force trying to push it out of the pipe.

Well that's assuming it a competition. Might not be so great in the real world with changing pressures and what not.

We're not allowed to crimp it, sorry, should have made the rules clearer in my original post. We've got to design a cap that can be brought down with an ROV, installed, and then left for a little while before being taken off by divers.

I'll look into the bung idea, though, thanks!

Another possible type of device is something like a coil spring or woven tube slid over the pipe. Pushing it on is easy because when you compress it, the diameter increases. But pulling it off can be very hard because as it's stretched in length, it shrinks in diameter.

Basically the same reason you can't pull a condom off directly. Hell, just use a condom! :P

I'll do some research into that (the coil spring thing - not the condom!). Pulling it off isn't our problem, thankfully. As long as we don't damage the pipe.

Thanks for your help, mate.

Um, on second thought, I think I've been confusing tension with torsion. Possibly the spring would just pull off coil by coil. However, woven mesh is a different story.

1. How does capping fluid flow from a pipe work?

Capping fluid flow from a pipe involves using a device, such as a valve or plug, to stop the flow of liquid or gas through the pipe. This is typically done in emergency situations, such as a leak or rupture, to prevent further damage.

2. What types of capping devices are commonly used for pipe flow?

There are several types of capping devices that can be used, including ball valves, gate valves, and blind flanges. The specific device chosen will depend on the size and pressure of the pipe, as well as the type of fluid being transported.

3. Can capping fluid flow from a pipe be done on all types of pipes?

In general, capping can be done on most types of pipes, including metal, plastic, and composite materials. However, the specific method and device used may vary depending on the material and size of the pipe.

4. Is capping fluid flow from a pipe a safe and effective solution?

Yes, capping fluid flow from a pipe is a safe and effective solution in emergency situations. It can help prevent further damage and potential hazards, such as spills or leaks, from occurring.

5. What are the potential risks or challenges associated with capping fluid flow from a pipe?

Capping fluid flow from a pipe should only be done by trained professionals, as there are potential risks involved, such as exposure to hazardous materials or high pressures. Additionally, capping may not be a permanent solution and further repairs or replacements may be necessary.