Scattering field formulation used in DG-FEM

In summary, the scattering field formulation used in simulations of electromagnetic scattering with DG-FEM involves a linear decomposition of the total field into incident and scattering fields. The incident field is a known, constant field with a specific permittivity and permeability, while the scattering field is dependent on the medium's properties. However, for multi-substrate cases, this formulation needs to be modified to account for changes in the incident medium.
discworld
Hello!

Reading up on simulations of electromagnetic scattering with DG-FEM and trying some myself, I got stuck.
In some of papers I have read, a scattering field formulation is used, in which the total field is linearly decomposed in incident field and scattering field:

[itex] E^{T}=E^{S}+E^{I}[/itex]

And, the 2D equations for the scattering field in a lossless, isotropic medium are:

[itex] \epsilon_{r} \frac{\partial E^{S}}{\partial t} = \nabla \times H^{S} - (\epsilon_{r} - \epsilon_{r}^{I}) \frac{\partial E^{i}}{\partial t} [/itex]
[itex] \mu_{r} \frac{\partial H^{S}}{\partial t} = -\nabla \times E^{S} - (\mu_{r} - \mu_{r}^{I}) \frac{\partial H^{i}}{\partial t} [/itex]

My problem is in the interpretation of the "scattering field" and "incident field" in this context. In every use I see of this formulation [itex]\epsilon_{r}[/itex] is space dependent, while [itex]\epsilon_{r}^{I}[/itex] is a constant - specifically, the incident medium's permittivity (same for the permeability). How can this work for multi-substrate cases, where, if I am thinking correctly, the medium considered incident should change?

(I am quite confused with the affair in general, so any clarifications are quite welcome)

Science news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions about the scattering field formulation and its interpretation. As a fellow scientist in the field of electromagnetic scattering, I can understand your confusion and would be happy to provide some clarifications.

Firstly, the scattering field can be defined as the part of the total field that is scattered by the medium. It is the result of the interaction between the incident field and the medium, and it carries information about the properties of the medium. On the other hand, the incident field is the part of the total field that is not affected by the medium and is known or controlled by the experimenter.

In the context of the equations you mentioned, the incident field is assumed to be a known, constant field with a certain permittivity and permeability, while the scattering field is dependent on the medium's properties (represented by the space-dependent permittivity and permeability). This formulation is valid for cases where the incident medium remains constant, and the medium being studied is the only one that changes.

However, for multi-substrate cases where the incident medium also changes, the scattering field formulation would need to be modified to account for this. This can be done by considering the incident field as a superposition of multiple known fields with different permittivities and permeabilities, and then solving for the scattering field using the appropriate equations.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of scattering and incident fields in this context. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Keep up the great work with your simulations!

1. What is the purpose of using the scattering field formulation in DG-FEM?

The scattering field formulation is used in DG-FEM (Discontinuous Galerkin Finite Element Method) to model the scattering of waves or particles by a target object. This allows for the simulation of various physical phenomena, such as sound, heat, or electromagnetic waves, interacting with an object in a given environment.

2. How does the scattering field formulation differ from other numerical methods?

The scattering field formulation differs from other numerical methods, such as the Finite Difference Method or Finite Element Method, by using discontinuous basis functions to approximate the solution. This allows for a more accurate representation of sharp discontinuities in the solution, which is important in modeling scattering phenomena.

3. What are the advantages of using DG-FEM with the scattering field formulation?

One of the main advantages of using DG-FEM with the scattering field formulation is its ability to handle complex geometries and materials with ease. It also allows for high-order accuracy, making it a more efficient and accurate method compared to other numerical methods.

4. What are some applications of the scattering field formulation in DG-FEM?

The scattering field formulation in DG-FEM has a wide range of applications, including electromagnetic scattering, acoustic scattering, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. It is also commonly used in radar and sonar technology, as well as in medical imaging and non-destructive testing.

5. What are the limitations of the scattering field formulation in DG-FEM?

One limitation of using the scattering field formulation in DG-FEM is its high computational cost, especially for problems with large domains. It also requires a thorough understanding of the underlying physics and mathematical concepts, making it more challenging to implement compared to other numerical methods.