How to electroplate paper

by iwant2beoz
Tags: electroplate, paper
Share this thread:
Borek
Jul1-14, 02:19 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
First: paper won't melt, it can dissolve (actually it will be more like disintegration, I am not even sure how to name it).

You can't be sure the graphite layer was continuous enough to conduct electricity. Have you tried to control the current? Was there any flowing?
iwant2beoz
Jul1-14, 02:35 PM
P: 94
At the moment I don't have any of the normal tools to measure current and the like, but current was flowing. I know that because the LED I hooked up in one of the lead wires lit up. that's not much current but it is something.
Lok
Jul2-14, 06:27 AM
P: 441
The resistance was quite high on a pencil line around 60 Ohm's for a 1cm line. And current will likely flow on the path of least resistance. Be sure wires that touch the graphite do not touch the electrolyte.

Make a 10cm long line on a piece of paper. Insist on it several times. Put one drop of CUSo4 in the middle. Connect one end of the line to the appropriate pole and take the other and touch the water of the droplet. It could be a very slow deposition. But if Bubbles come out something is happening.
iwant2beoz
Jul2-14, 08:24 AM
Ok I will give it a shot, what voltage should I use?
Lok
Jul3-14, 01:37 AM
P: 441
The high resistance will mean a high voltage drop and unless you have a voltage higher than the necessary potential Copper will not be reduced. I usually use a variable source and start at 2V and can go as high as 24V in my electroplating/eroding setups. There are too many unknowns to give a definite answer, it is easier to up the voltage if nothing happens.
christopher.s
Jul3-14, 01:17 PM
P: 17
I tried this with a leftover nickel sulfamate bath and was unable to get any current to flow. The resisitivity of the graphite on the paper was pretty high, so that is probably what the issue was.

I still think your best bet is to evaporate your metals. It's not as hard as you might think...
iwant2beoz
Jul6-14, 05:23 PM
Can I make a metal evaporator out of things around the house or will I need to hit up eBay ? I get the principal but not the practice...
christopher.s
Jul7-14, 11:15 AM
P: 17
You will need a vacuum chamber and pump, a source to provide enough current to heat a metal to evaporation, and something to hold the evaporating metals. Tungsten wire baskets or boats are commonly used.
iwant2beoz
Jul7-14, 12:28 PM
Hum well it sounds like some thing I can build but I don't think it's wise to to build it on my kitchen table, so I will have to wait till later to try it.
Borek
Jul7-14, 01:01 PM
Admin
It is definitely not trivial. Not to mention is can be quite dangerous to work with vacuum.
iwant2beoz
Jul7-14, 02:32 PM
Ok so I have an odd question. I have been trying outs Zink plating instead of copper to see how it behaves and so far it is plating to my graphite rod but it is a dull grey color. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Borek
Jul7-14, 03:12 PM
Admin
When metals start to deposit as a very tiny crystals they can look dull.

No idea if that's the case, but it doesn't have to be wrong.
iwant2beoz
Jul7-14, 03:26 PM
Ok so I will try to polish it and see what happens.
Borek
Jul7-14, 03:35 PM
Admin
If these are tiny crystals on graphite they will most likely just fell off.
iwant2beoz
Jul9-14, 07:39 AM
What is the best metal to use as a substrate?

Register to reply