I Just Picked Up Some Zinc-Carbon Batteries - What Now?

• Thread starter Just some guy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary: What is it?In summary, these zinc-carbon batteries are outdated and may not last long if left in an appliance.
Just some guy
Hi,

I didn't know they still made these anymore, but I just picked up a few zinc-carbon batteries from the corner store (not knowing they were zinc-carbon - I just bought them because they were three times cheaper than the other ones :rolleyes: ).

Correct me if I'm mistaken but the anode is the case, so if I leave these things in my appliance for too long they'll leak, right? (and it says 0% mercury added, which doesn't help matters)

I know i *should* be annoyed about this but I can't help thinking how quaint it is that they still mass produce these :smile:

p.s. they're called 'special power' - I love how they give the crappiest batteries names with the most impact :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking just a couple years ago all the major manufacturers were still making them. Not that I know why, but they weren't really hard to find. Now it seems like the only ones left are made in one asian country or another.

The case is zinc, yes. I read somewhere that amalgamating it was just about impossible to do away with if you wanted them to work decently at all, so I wouldn't trust the claims they are mercury-free unless you test for it yourself.

Strictly speaking all regular household batteries are "dry" cells. Wet cells are probably not manufactured by anyone any more, but they were obviously full of fluid and spilled if you knocked them over.

Sealed lead acid batteries are most likely still manufactured. I have had no reason to check though. I'm sure gel cells are still manufactured also.

Averagesupernova said:
Sealed lead acid batteries are most likely still manufactured. I have had no reason to check though.
A primary cell?
I'm sure gel cells are still manufactured also.
Don't think I've ever heard of this.

1. What are zinc-carbon batteries?

Zinc-carbon batteries are a type of primary battery that use zinc and carbon as the anode and cathode, respectively. They are commonly used in low-drain devices such as flashlights, remote controls, and toys.

2. How do zinc-carbon batteries work?

Zinc-carbon batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through a process called oxidation-reduction. The zinc anode reacts with the manganese dioxide cathode, producing an electrical current that can power devices.

3. How long do zinc-carbon batteries last?

The lifespan of zinc-carbon batteries depends on the amount of energy they are providing to a device and the drain rate of the device. Generally, they have a shelf life of 2-3 years and can power low-drain devices for several hours to a few days.

4. How should I dispose of zinc-carbon batteries?

Zinc-carbon batteries should be disposed of properly at designated recycling centers. They should not be thrown in the regular trash as they contain chemicals that can be harmful to the environment.

5. Can zinc-carbon batteries be recharged?

No, zinc-carbon batteries are not rechargeable. Attempting to recharge them can cause them to leak or even explode. It is important to use the correct type of battery for your device and to dispose of them properly when they are no longer functional.