New Theory on why tornadoes occur.

• Thread starter meldave00
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a concrete scientific explanation for tornadoes and a link to an article proposing a theory. One participant expresses skepticism and mentions that the article may not meet the forum's criteria for scientific material. They also mention the author's credentials and plan to further examine the theory and accepted theories on tornadoes.
meldave00
To date, I don't believe scientist have a concrete scientific explanation on why tornadoes really occur in nature. There are some theories, but they have never really been proven. I believe that the this guys theory may be pointed in the right direction. Please read the article and comment if you like.

http://www.cafes.net/wallytul/ttheory.htm"

regards,

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
meldave, this forum requires that all links to scientific material be those of established science - these include standard textbook science reported in online encyclopedias or similar resources, papers published in peer-reviewed journals, news articles and reports from well-established sources, and in the rare occasion, preprints accepted by the arXiv. So, there is a fair possibility that this thread will be deleted.

That said, I visited the linked article and quickly scrolled down to the first set of equations. The force equations all have the force pointing the wrong way. Methinks the author may have these tornadoes turning in the wrong direction!

Last edited:
TLDR. However, I will say that if this person is not fudging his credentials, his work experience alone at Republic and AEDC are top notch in my book.

I will give this a bit more of a look over. However, I will also have to brush up on current accepted theories on tornados as well. This may take a bit.

1. What is the new theory on why tornadoes occur?

The new theory on why tornadoes occur suggests that it is a result of the interaction between warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico and cold, dry air from the Rockies. This creates a powerful wind shear that can lead to the formation of tornadoes.

2. How does this theory differ from previous theories?

This theory differs from previous theories in that it focuses on the specific conditions that lead to tornado formation, rather than just the general atmospheric conditions. It also takes into account the role of different air masses in creating the necessary wind shear.

3. What evidence supports this new theory?

There is strong evidence to support this new theory, including observations of the specific air mass interactions that occur before tornadoes form, as well as computer simulations and data analysis. This evidence has been reviewed and validated by multiple scientists in the field.

4. How does this theory impact tornado prediction and forecasting?

This new theory has the potential to greatly improve tornado prediction and forecasting. By understanding the specific conditions that lead to tornado formation, meteorologists can better identify and track potential tornadoes, giving people more time to prepare and seek shelter.

5. Are there any potential criticisms or limitations of this theory?

As with any new theory, there may be some criticisms or limitations that arise as more research is conducted. Some scientists may argue that this theory is too narrow and does not account for all tornado occurrences. Others may question the validity of the evidence or the accuracy of the computer simulations used to support the theory. Further research and analysis will be needed to address these potential criticisms.