Help Needed: Solving Car Braking Problem w/Time Crunch

• Thread starter physics newb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking Car
In summary: The mass has no real impact on how long it will take to stop. The equation for (b) is a bit more complicated, and is actually just a rearrangement of the equation for (a). The time is determined by the final speed, the acceleration, and the distance. However, it's not quite clear from your post what the final speed is. For (c) and (d), the equation is the same, but with the new initial speed.
physics newb
OK, I have some homework, due soon, and could use some help. If you can give me an answer and show me how you got it, great, but I'm here to learn too.
A car with a mass of 1300kg is initially moving at a speed of 40 km/h when the brakes are applied and the car is brought to a stop in 15 m. Assuming that the force that stops the car is constant, find (a) the magnitude of that force and (b) the time required for the change in speed. If the initial speed is doubled and the car experiences the same force during the braking, by what factors are (c) the stopping distance and (d) the stopping time multiplied?
So there are 4 parts to this problem. I'm here to learn, but I'm also crunched for time, so any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
physics newb said:
OK, I have some homework, due soon, and could use some help. If you can give me an answer and show me how you got it, great, but I'm here to learn too.
A car with a mass of 1300kg is initially moving at a speed of 40 km/h when the brakes are applied and the car is brought to a stop in 15 m. Assuming that the force that stops the car is constant, find (a) the magnitude of that force and (b) the time required for the change in speed. If the initial speed is doubled and the car experiences the same force during the braking, by what factors are (c) the stopping distance and (d) the stopping time multiplied?
So there are 4 parts to this problem. I'm here to learn, but I'm also crunched for time, so any help would be appreciated. :smile:

u have to tell us how you have tried to solve the problem yourself...

I haven't, I don't even know where to begin. That's why I'm here. Once I get started, things should start clicking. Does the mass of the car have anything to do with how long it will take to slow down?

Does anyone have an idea as to what the next step is?

For a) you need the acceleration, and you only know the initial and final velocities, and the distance, so you need an equation that only uses these variables. Do you know what it would be? Don't forget to multiply a by the mass to get the force. Then for b), you need the time, so since you have the acceleration, you can use another equation of motion, and solve it for time. For c) and d), go back and solve these 2 equations for x and t, with the new initial speed.

[tex]v^2 = v_0^2 + 2 a \Delta x[/tex]
Would this be it?

Time is not my luxury here. What is the next thing I do?

What confuses you? Tomsk's post seems to clear it up pretty well. Your equation is the correct one to use for (a).

1. What is the car braking problem?

The car braking problem refers to an issue with the braking system of a vehicle, which can result in the car not being able to slow down or stop properly.

2. What causes the car braking problem?

The car braking problem can be caused by various factors, such as worn brake pads, malfunctioning brake calipers, air in the brake lines, or a faulty brake master cylinder.

3. How do you diagnose the car braking problem?

To diagnose the car braking problem, a thorough inspection of the braking system is necessary. This may include checking the brake pads, rotors, calipers, brake lines, and master cylinder for any signs of wear or damage.

4. How can the car braking problem be solved?

The solution to the car braking problem will depend on the specific cause. It may involve replacing worn or damaged parts, bleeding the brake lines, or repairing the brake system. It is best to consult a professional mechanic for an accurate diagnosis and solution.

5. Is it safe to drive the car with a braking problem?

No, it is not safe to drive the car with a braking problem. The brakes are a critical safety feature of a vehicle, and any malfunction can lead to accidents. It is essential to address the issue as soon as possible to ensure the safety of yourself and others on the road.