Vector potential in a coaxial cable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic vector potential in a round coaxial cable with known parameters. The solution involves using the Coulomb gauge and magneto-quasi-static approximations. The differential equation for the z-component of the vector potential is shown, along with its solution and the necessary boundary conditions. There is a discussion about the third boundary condition needed to find the constant E0, with the ultimate solution being to demand that the vector potential becomes zero at infinity.
koroljov

Homework Statement

I have to find the magnetic vector potential in a round coaxial cable. The internal conductor has a finite (known) conductivity. The external conductor is a perfect electrical conductor. Both the radius of the internal and the external conductors are known.

I have to assume that everything happens in sinusoidal regime, hence the use of phasors.

Furthermore, the current and the vector potential have only a component along the z-axis. I have to use the Coulomb gauge, and magneto-quasi-static approximations.

First of all, I had to show that the z-component of the vector potential, Az, obeys a certain differential equation in the inner conductor. (see "relevant equations" below). That was no problem. I had to solve this equation which was no problem either. To find the actual solution, I needed two boundary conditions. This too was no problem.

The actual problem is that I have to find a third boundary condition to find E0.

Homework Equations

The differential equation:

Laplacian(Az) - j*omega*mu0*sigma*Az = -mu0*sigma*E0

with E0 a constant, and j the imaginary unit. E0=dV/dz,the derivative of the scalar potential (this can be shown to be constant easily using the restrictions on the components of the E and A vectors, and the law of Faraday).

The solution of this equation:
Az(r) = BesselJ(0,(-mu0*sigma*omega*j)^(1/2)*r)*c-1/omega*E0*j

where c is a constant that can be determined from the boundary conditions. Another bessel function was thrown away because it has a singularity at r=0.

The boundary conditions:
-The B-field must be 0 for r=0 (no extra infrmation follows from this)
-the B-field must be equal to mu0*I_totaal/(2*Pi*a) at r=a
where I_totaal is the total current, and a is the radius of the inner conductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowing all this, I can solve the differential equation completely. It is surprising that nor the E-field, nor the B-field depend on E0. Look:
Ez = -dAz/dt + E0
thus
Ez = -j*omega*Az + E0
Ez = -j*omega*Az + E0
Ez = -j*omega*(something -1/omega*E0*j) + E0
Ez = -j*omega*something -E0 + E0
Ez = -j*omega*something
where "something" does not depend on E0.

For the B-field, I have to take the curl of A, which implies taking spatial derivatives. E0 will disappear, since it is independent of position.

Yet I still have to find a "third condition" to determine E0. I think that, since there are no free charges anywhere in the problem, and in the magneto-quasi-static approximation one ignores the slight charge buildups that could be associated with electrical waves in a conductor, the scalar potential V has to be constant (independent of position), and hence, that E0 has to be zero. Unfortunately, this sounds slightly too easy to be true. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found the answer. Thanks anyway.

Can you share your solution to this problem with us?
I need to solve a very simular problem.

Thanks in advance.

koroljov said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the magnetic vector potential in a round coaxial cable. The internal conductor has a finite (known) conductivity. The external conductor is a perfect electrical conductor. Both the radius of the internal and the external conductors are known.

Do you study Burgerlijk Ingenieur in the Ugent ?

"Indien ja, is dit het project van DeVisschere"

:wink:

marlon

marlon said:
Do you study Burgerlijk Ingenieur in the Ugent ?

"Indien ja, is dit het project van DeVisschere"

:wink:

marlon

Yep, heeft hij dit mss ooit al eens gevraagd? Ik vond het nogal raar om exact onze opgave terug te vinden op internet.

Hmmm. The solution, which is well-known by now, so it doesn't matter anymore anyway, is to demand that the vector potential becomes zero at r=infinity. (hence it becomes zero at r=b). There are other possibilites that will yield the correct solution too.

What is the vector potential in a coaxial cable?

The vector potential in a coaxial cable is a measure of the electromagnetic field strength inside the cable. It is a vector quantity that describes the direction and magnitude of the field at any point in the cable.

How is the vector potential calculated in a coaxial cable?

The vector potential in a coaxial cable can be calculated using the Biot-Savart Law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current flowing through the cable. It can also be calculated using Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

What factors affect the vector potential in a coaxial cable?

The vector potential in a coaxial cable is affected by the current flowing through the cable, the distance between the inner and outer conductors, and the materials used in the construction of the cable. It is also influenced by the frequency of the electromagnetic wave traveling through the cable.

How does the vector potential affect the performance of a coaxial cable?

The vector potential plays a crucial role in the performance of a coaxial cable. It determines the strength of the electromagnetic field inside the cable, which affects the signal transmission and overall efficiency of the cable. A higher vector potential results in a stronger and more stable signal.

Can the vector potential in a coaxial cable be manipulated?

Yes, the vector potential in a coaxial cable can be manipulated by changing the current flowing through the cable, altering the distance between the inner and outer conductors, or using materials with different conductive properties. These changes can affect the strength and direction of the electromagnetic field in the cable and, therefore, impact its overall performance.