Exploring the Fascinating World of Physics: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter 3dsmax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is interested in physics but struggles with the subject in school. They are looking for book recommendations to learn more about advanced topics such as tachyons, string theory, and black holes. They also ask about why light appears to slow down in certain mediums. Various book recommendations are provided by the conversation participants.
3dsmax
Okay i am not a physics master. I'm in honors high school physics with a C. But physics is just so interesting. I just wish I was better at it. I'm always making stupid mistakes on tests
Anyways.
I am really interested in learning about the weird things in physics.
Like tachyons, string theory, shrodingers equation, what happens at the speed of light,EDIT: oh yeah can't forget wormholes, black holes, and superdense star material ,quantum tunnelling, relativity, redshifts, time travel (i know its not possible), and well you get the jist of it. I want to know about all the cool things about physics. I was wondering if someone could point me towards a book that would be able to explain it so someone with my knowledge would understand it. I have allready read about half of The Physics of Superheros which is a great book, and want to learn more. My teacher says I don't have a high enough grade to go to AP so I have to learn this myself.
I'd rather not have to spend countless hours on the net trying to find stuff (mainly cause my internet usage is limited). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

PS: also why do people say light can't be slowed down but it travels slower through certain things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Like tachyons, string theory, shrodingers equation, what happens at the speed of light,EDIT: oh yeah can't forget wormholes, black holes, and superdense star material ,quantum tunnelling, relativity, redshifts, time travel (i know its not possible), and well you get the jist of it.

Yes I agree that physics is interesting. But a lot of those things you listed require high levels of mathematical sophistication and is beyond the ordinary high school student. String theory isn't touched by most physics students until grad school. For now I think you better slow down a little and get well grounded in the basic concepts and mathematics.

PS: also why do people say light can't be slowed down but it travels slower through certain things?
The photons do not slow down. It is the group velocity that changes as light moves between different mediums.

So any book recommendations?

Try these if you can find them:

Mathematics and The Physical World, by Morris Kline.
Gravity, Black Holes and the Universe, by Ian Nicolson
Coming of Age In The Milky Way, by Timothy Ferris
A Brief History of Time, by Stephen Hawking
Einstein's Universe, by Nigel Calder
The Meaniing of Relativity, by A. Einstein
The New Gravitation, by H. Arthur Klein
Gravitation, by Misner, Thorne and Wheeler
Relativity, The Special and the General Theory, by Albert Einstein
Was Einstein Right? by Clifford Will
The Emperors New Mind, by Rioger Penrose
Newton's Gift, by David Berlinski
Aristotle, Galileo and the Tower of Pisa, by Lane Cooper.
Introduction to Modern Physics, by Elmer E. Anderson

HAWKING AND FERRIS ARE A GOOD PLACE TO START.

Thanks for the list i will be sure to check them out.

If you're interested in black holes and wormholes, I also recommend "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne. And on string theory, you could look at "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

check out the Teaching Company (TTC) courses, theyre videos but great collage teachers just teaching what they know. half the time i don't even listen, but i pick up the interesting things from all subjects between galaxies and atoms.

I download them from TPB.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to explain the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe at all scales, from the smallest subatomic particles to the largest galaxies.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us and how it works. It has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Furthermore, the theories and discoveries in physics have led to significant advancements in our society and have shaped our understanding of the universe.

3. What are the main areas of physics?

The main areas of physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Each of these areas focuses on different aspects of the physical world, such as motion, energy, electricity, and the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

4. Is physics a difficult subject?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but it is also a highly rewarding one. It requires a solid foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can understand the basic principles of physics and appreciate its beauty and complexity.

5. How can I learn more about physics?

There are many ways to learn more about physics, including reading books, watching videos, attending lectures and workshops, and conducting experiments. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of mathematics, as it is the language of physics. Additionally, joining a physics club or participating in online forums can provide opportunities to discuss and learn from others who share your interest in the subject.