Suffering from Kidney Stones: My Story

• Medical
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, the speakers discussed their experiences with kidney stones, including how frequently they occur and the types of stones they have had. They also mentioned the use of lasers and ultrasound treatments, as well as the importance of diet and water intake in preventing and treating kidney stones. The speakers also shared their experiences with pain and medication, with some finding relief from painkillers and others finding them unpleasant. They also discussed the relative nature of pain and how passing a stone can make other pains seem less significant.
Evo said:
Oh my, you must be in terrible pain!

I thought they could blow those up with lasers?
This stone was very painful when it was on the move a few months ago. However, since it got stuck it hasn't caused me pain. However, it does cause constant irritation. The plan is to either literally pull it out using something called a basket, or failing that, to cut it into smaller pieces with a laser. Ultrasound is out because the stone has been irritating me for so long that the tube material is in bad shape. Ultrasound can shake the stone rather violently and that may damage the tube. After the stone is out, a stent goes in. I have had a stent before and it was nearly as painful in its way as the stone itself. I wasn't able to make water without first taking a pain killer.

Biology news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
This stone was very painful when it was on the move a few months ago. However, since it got stuck it hasn't caused me pain. However, it does cause constant irritation. The plan is to either literally pull it out using something called a basket, or failing that, to cut it into smaller pieces with a laser. Ultrasound is out because the stone has been irritating me for so long that the tube material is in bad shape. Ultrasound can shake the stone rather violently and that may damage the tube. After the stone is out, a stent goes in. I have had a stent before and it was nearly as painful in its way as the stone itself. I wasn't able to make water without first taking a pain killer.
Oh you poor thing! :frown: There just is no happy scenario.

If I was religious, you'd be in my prayers. I hope your lovely wife and wonderful children are pampering you.

Jimmy I'm so sorry...that's just painful to read. I hope it's better soon!

Evo said:
I hope your lovely wife and wonderful children are pampering you.
You mean more than usual? Thanks yes. My son is even doing his homework without waiting for me to ask him.

I have suffered from stones my entire life. I happen to have a stone right now in my kidney but it is not causing me any pain. Due to its location they aren't doing anything until it moves.

I wish I could tell you what to do with the stones but I have no clue. Mine are calcium stones and yet I am calcium deficient. In fact, my calcium has been so low for so long that I am now 34 and have osteoporosis. So obviously reducing calcium is not an option for me.

Good luck.

Louise M said:
I have suffered from stones my entire life. I happen to have a stone right now in my kidney but it is not causing me any pain. Due to its location they aren't doing anything until it moves.

I wish I could tell you what to do with the stones but I have no clue. Mine are calcium stones and yet I am calcium deficient. In fact, my calcium has been so low for so long that I am now 34 and have osteoporosis. So obviously reducing calcium is not an option for me.

Good luck.
Good luck to you too. Obviously, I can't give you medical advice. However, I think it's safe to say that you should see a urologist periodically to see if your stone is growing too large. I went through a period of about 5 years during which I was passing stones about 2 a year without pain and so I didn't see the urologist about them. Then I had a painful one and the x-ray revealed that behind it was a 1-inch diameter stone that had grown in the kidney.

I had extensive, but inconclusive tests about 10 years ago to determine why I produce so many stones. My urologist said he wants to investigate again and there was a set to his teeth that told me he was serious this time.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Good luck to you too. Obviously, I can't give you medical advice. However, I think it's safe to say that you should see a urologist periodically to see if your stone is growing too large. I went through a period of about 5 years during which I was passing stones about 2 a year without pain and so I didn't see the urologist about them. Then I had a painful one and the x-ray revealed that behind it was a 1-inch diameter stone that had grown in the kidney.

I had extensive, but inconclusive tests about 10 years ago to determine why I produce so many stones. My urologist said he wants to investigate again and there was a set to his teeth that told me he was serious this time.
The pain men feel is a hundred times worse than women, from what I hear.

Evo said:
The pain men feel is a hundred times worse than women, from what I hear.
I can vouch for that. Oh, wait a minute, no I can't. A hundred might be too much though. Just by coincidence, my mother passed a kidney stone while she was still in the hospital having given birth to me. She always said that her stone pain was worse than the pain of childbirth.

GREG! When you move a thread, please leave a redirect!

I fixed it.

Do you drink enough water?

@Jimmy. If your comment was directed to me, then rest assured I see a urologist and a nephrologist on a regular basis. Kidney stones is just the beginning of my urinary tract problems.

As far as it being worse for men, I am not sure how one could determine that. As no man knows what a woman feels and no woman knows what a man feels. Personally, I have passed out and stayed out due to the pain of a stone. Not sure how it can get much worse than that. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Louise M said:
@Jimmy. If your comment was directed to me, then rest assured I see a urologist and a nephrologist on a regular basis. Kidney stones is just the beginning of my urinary tract problems.

As far as it being worse for men, I am not sure how one could determine that. As no man knows what a woman feels and no woman knows what a man feels. Personally, I have passed out and stayed out due to the pain of a stone. Not sure how it can get much worse than that. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Sorry to hear of your problems Louise, I hope that you can find some relief.

I think it's the anatomy of men. The stone, if passed naturally, has a bit farther to go through a very narrow tube in a very sensitive part of the male. So maybe they have a point.

Evo said:
I think it's the anatomy of men. The stone, if passed naturally, has a bit farther to go through a very narrow tube in a very sensitive part of the male. So maybe they have a point.
The passage through the 'sensitive part' is painless, the pain is during the passage through the ureter, the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I think that's the same in men and women. Perhaps I'll get a sex change operation and settle the matter once and for all.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The passage through the 'sensitive part' is painless, the pain is during the passage through the ureter, the tube from the kidney to the bladder. I think that's the same in men and women. Perhaps I'll get a sex change operation and settle the matter once and for all.
I can vouch for that, Jimmy. I once passed a stone on a long road-trip from Atlanta to Dothan, AL. I commandeered the front passenger seat of the Caddy so I could slide it back and get all the leg-room I could muster. I had an early morning presentation to management, but was in no shape to pull it off. I got my project manager to buy me a lot of beer, and I drank beer and resisted urinating until I felt about to explode. Finally, I had to let it go, and never heard such a pleasing sound as that "tink" as the stone hit the porcelain. I was a bit hung-over during my presentation, but at least I was there and not in pain.

Jimmy Snyder said:

This confirms what my doctor says. He insists the pain comes from it temporary blocking urine from passing through the ureters. He says without the blockage, you would not feel anything, which is why I do not feel most of my stones. I have large ureters and thus the stones can pass through them with ease.

Louise M said:
This confirms what my doctor says. He insists the pain comes from it temporary blocking urine from passing through the ureters. He says without the blockage, you would not feel anything, which is why I do not feel most of my stones. I have large ureters and thus the stones can pass through them with ease.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the intense pain of a kidney stone is caused by the blockage of the ureter. However, I've been told that if the stone scrapes along as it goes, that can cause pain too. The urethra, the tube from the bladder to the outside has a larger diameter and that's why it doesn't hurt there. I had a stone that caused severe blockage on my right side about a decade ago and as a result the ureter ballooned out to 4 times its normal diameter. It never shrank back down so stones that pass on that side do so painlessly. Today I had my stone removed by snaking a laser to the site and using it to slice up the stone. Until today, I thought that the term lithotripsy referred to the breaking up of kidney stones by means of ultrasound. However, my doctor told me that lithotripsy just means stone breaking and today's procedure was called laser lithotripsy. He removed the stone and put a stent in its place. As a result, I have to go back to his office in a week to have it removed. The stent is no picnic and while the pain is not as intense, it is the same kind of pain as the stone.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the intense pain of a kidney stone is caused by the blockage of the ureter. However, I've been told that if the stone scrapes along as it goes, that can cause pain too. The urethra, the tube from the bladder to the outside has a larger diameter and that's why it doesn't hurt there. I had a stone that caused severe blockage on my right side about a decade ago and as a result the ureter ballooned out to 4 times its normal diameter. It never shrank back down so stones that pass on that side do so painlessly. Today I had my stone removed by snaking a laser to the site and using it to slice up the stone. Until today, I thought that the term lithotripsy referred to the breaking up of kidney stones by means of ultrasound. However, my doctor told me that lithotripsy just means stone breaking and today's procedure was called laser lithotripsy. He removed the stone and put a stent in its place. As a result, I have to go back to his office in a week to have it removed. The stent is no picnic and while the pain is not as intense, it is the same kind of pain as the stone.

Oh wow, that sounds like a horrible experience - so sorry, Jimmy! I hope they gave you good drugs, and also that the removal goes smoothly.

If I remember correctly, there is a tiny string attached to the stent. All they have to do is grab the string and pull it out. Again, if I remember correctly, it can be done in the doctors office without any anesthesia

Louise M said:
If I remember correctly, there is a tiny string attached to the stent. All they have to do is grab the string and pull it out. Again, if I remember correctly, it can be done in the doctors office without any anesthesia
:eek:

Evo said:
:eek:

My sentiments exactly!

Louise M said:

:bugeye: *passes out*

I hope the procedure goes without a hiccup, Jimmy.

Dembadon said:
:bugeye: *passes out*

I hope the procedure goes without a hiccup, Jimmy.
It's probably no more painful than a rapid tear involved in Brazilian bikini-wax. Though gender-specific issues limit my expertise.

Jimmy Snyder said:

I've had two kidney stones and when it goes through that ureter, boy is it painful. I don't know how someone could go through that without some kind of painkillers. It keeps getting worse and worse. I think you'd eventually black out. I don't know why there's so many nerves in that little tube.
However, I didn't even feel them come out, so going through the urethra wasn't a problem. I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?

leroyjenkens said:
I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?
It's a one way street from the kidneys out.

leroyjenkens said:
I've had two kidney stones and when it goes through that ureter, boy is it painful. I don't know how someone could go through that without some kind of painkillers. It keeps getting worse and worse. I think you'd eventually black out. I don't know why there's so many nerves in that little tube.
However, I didn't even feel them come out, so going through the urethra wasn't a problem. I don't know if it's just a myth that it's painful coming out or what, because if it's painful coming out, then how in the world did it even fit through the ureter in the first place?

I wonder if it's possible that the stones hang out in the bladder a while, and get larger while they're there?

lisab said:
I wonder if it's possible that the stones hang out in the bladder a while, and get larger while they're there?

Should be easy to check jumping up and down - if they rattle, they are there.

Few years ago I was told I have stones, and I was given some fancy medication that makes you pee blue.

Last edited:
Have you tried taking CoQ10?

It won't work on current stones, but should help prevent future ones.

I didn't get the string. Instead, I went to the Doctor's office today and he went in and fished out the stent. I haven't been to work since Tuesday when he put it in. I've been pretty much in a drug induced stupor ever since. The stent is a tube that goes all the way from the kidney to the bladder. I think that when he pulled the stent he disturbed the stones in the kidney. Anyway now another stone is coming down and killing me so it's back to the drugs. I don't doubt I'll get fired over this.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I didn't get the string. Instead, I went to the Doctor's office today and he went in and fished out the stent. I haven't been to work since Tuesday when he put it in. I've been pretty much in a drug induced stupor ever since. The stent is a tube that goes all the way from the kidney to the bladder. I think that when he pulled the stent he disturbed the stones in the kidney. Anyway now another stone is coming down and killing me so it's back to the drugs. I don't doubt I'll get fired over this.
If you have gall stones, they will just blow them all up with a laser because leaving them in there can damage the gall bladder. Is there a reason that they leave the kidney stones intact?

Jimmy Snyder said:

:frown: Ouch, dang! So sorry to hear of all this, it sounds really horrible.

Poor Jimmy. I hope you will get better soon. When I read your serious posts I feel uneasy.

Evo said:
If you have gall stones, they will just blow them all up with a laser because leaving them in there can damage the gall bladder. Is there a reason that they leave the kidney stones intact?
I had a stone removed that way and I might have these removed the same way. I've had stones broken up by ultrasound and laser, some passed on their own and some had to be pulled out. The laser treatment for stones in the kidney requires cutting a hole in the back, so it's considered a last resort. The ultrasound treatment is not considered when there is too much stone matter since the mass of fragments will clog the tube. They can't pull them from the kidney and mine won't pass on their own. I have an appointment in three months to discuss this matter with the urologist and we will decide what to do. Up til now I have been content to let the stones be, but a couple of them have grown to dangerous size and so I may submit to the laser treatment. If he recommends laser treatment and he can remove all of the stones along with the large ones in a single operation, then I will almost certainly go for it. Unfortunately, I have a half dozen stones in each kidney. Well, 5 on the left side now and one more in the ureter.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I had a stone removed that way and I might have these removed the same way. I've had stones broken up by ultrasound and laser, some passed on their own and some had to be pulled out. The laser treatment for stones in the kidney requires cutting a hole in the back, so it's considered a last resort. The ultrasound treatment is not considered when there is too much stone matter since the mass of fragments will clog the tube. They can't pull them from the kidney and mine won't pass on their own. I have an appointment in three months to discuss this matter with the urologist and we will decide what to do. Up til now I have been content to let the stones be, but a couple of them have grown to dangerous size and so I may submit to the laser treatment. If he recommends laser treatment and he can remove all of the stones along with the large ones in a single operation, then I will almost certainly go for it. Unfortunately, I have a half dozen stones in each kidney. Well, 5 on the left side now and one more in the ureter.
When this happened to my cat, they *cured* him by giving him a sex change operation. Of course he was completely blocked, and the vet screwed up. Just saying you've got options.

On the serious side, it sounds like you're going through hell and I am really sorry to hear it. I do hope that they can find some way of getting this cleared up.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Just saying you've got options.
I've been considering it since I heard someone say women suffer less than men. Actually, I had never heard that before. What I did hear was that kidney stone pain is worse than birth pain. I wouldn't know, but my mother passed a stone while she was in the hospital having given birth to me. She said that the stone was worse. On occasion I have worried that I would pass a stone while senile and not be able to tell anyone. Well, when my mother died, she wasn't senile, but she was passing a stone.

<h2>1. What are kidney stones and how do they form?</h2><p>Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and salts that form inside the kidneys. They can vary in size and shape and are typically made up of calcium, oxalate, and other substances found in urine. Kidney stones form when there is an imbalance in the levels of these substances, causing them to crystallize and stick together.</p><h2>2. What are the symptoms of kidney stones?</h2><p>The most common symptom of kidney stones is intense pain in the back, side, or lower abdomen. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, blood in the urine, and difficulty urinating. The severity of symptoms can vary depending on the size and location of the kidney stone.</p><h2>3. How are kidney stones diagnosed?</h2><p>Kidney stones can be diagnosed through a variety of tests, including urine tests, blood tests, imaging tests (such as X-rays or CT scans), and analysis of passed stones. Your doctor will likely perform a combination of these tests to confirm the presence of kidney stones and determine their size and location.</p><h2>4. What are the treatment options for kidney stones?</h2><p>The treatment for kidney stones depends on the size and location of the stone, as well as the severity of symptoms. Small stones may pass on their own with increased fluid intake and pain medication. Larger stones may require medical procedures such as shock wave lithotripsy, ureteroscopy, or surgery to remove the stone.</p><h2>5. How can kidney stones be prevented?</h2><p>To prevent kidney stones, it is important to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. You should also limit your intake of foods high in oxalate (such as spinach, chocolate, and nuts) and sodium. Additionally, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly can help prevent the formation of kidney stones. If you have a history of kidney stones, your doctor may also prescribe medication or dietary changes to prevent future stones from forming.</p>

1. What are kidney stones and how do they form?

Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and salts that form inside the kidneys. They can vary in size and shape and are typically made up of calcium, oxalate, and other substances found in urine. Kidney stones form when there is an imbalance in the levels of these substances, causing them to crystallize and stick together.

2. What are the symptoms of kidney stones?

The most common symptom of kidney stones is intense pain in the back, side, or lower abdomen. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, blood in the urine, and difficulty urinating. The severity of symptoms can vary depending on the size and location of the kidney stone.

3. How are kidney stones diagnosed?

Kidney stones can be diagnosed through a variety of tests, including urine tests, blood tests, imaging tests (such as X-rays or CT scans), and analysis of passed stones. Your doctor will likely perform a combination of these tests to confirm the presence of kidney stones and determine their size and location.

4. What are the treatment options for kidney stones?

The treatment for kidney stones depends on the size and location of the stone, as well as the severity of symptoms. Small stones may pass on their own with increased fluid intake and pain medication. Larger stones may require medical procedures such as shock wave lithotripsy, ureteroscopy, or surgery to remove the stone.

5. How can kidney stones be prevented?

To prevent kidney stones, it is important to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. You should also limit your intake of foods high in oxalate (such as spinach, chocolate, and nuts) and sodium. Additionally, maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly can help prevent the formation of kidney stones. If you have a history of kidney stones, your doctor may also prescribe medication or dietary changes to prevent future stones from forming.