What Pulls the Sun? Understanding Gravitational Pull and Mass Effect

In summary, the gravitational pull of the sun on the Earth and the Earth's mass effect towards the moon is well understood. However, the pull of the sun is also affected by the gravitational pull of other stars in the Milky Way galaxy, including the supermassive black hole at the center. While the strength of this pull is weak compared to the sun's pull on our solar system, it is enough to keep our solar system in orbit around the galactic center. The formation of galaxies involves not only gravity, but also gas dynamics and magnetic fields, and will never be fully explained by gravity alone.
michelrochette
I can "understand" the gravitational pull of the sun on the Earth and the Earth mass effect toward the moon, but what pull the sun?

a neophyte.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The sun is part of the Milky Way Galaxy, a large collection of stars. The Milky Galaxy is a spiral galaxy, although apparently recent observations indicate it is a barred sprial galaxy. It's neighor, the Andromeda Galaxy (M31, NGC 224), which we can see, is a spiral galaxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_spiral_galaxy

http://seds.org/messier/more/mw.html
http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/the_universe/Milkyway.html&edu=mid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/the_universe/Spirals.html

Last edited by a moderator:
michelrochette said:
I can "understand" the gravitational pull of the sun on the Earth and the Earth mass effect toward the moon, but what pull the sun?

I think that the only other force that really effects the path of sun (and thus the rest of the solar system with it) is the gravity from the assumed 'super massive black hole' at the centre.

I would presume that gravity works completely differently on a galactic scale, as you don't see any other galaxy shaped objects on smaller scales. I think I'm correct in saying that galaxy formation is still not fully explained by gravity alone yet?

Also, obviously, the Earth pulls on the sun just as hard as the sun pulls on the earth!

-RA- said:
I would presume that gravity works completely differently on a galactic scale, as you don't see any other galaxy shaped objects on smaller scales. I think I'm correct in saying that galaxy formation is still not fully explained by gravity alone yet?

Galaxy formation will never be fully explained by gravity alone, it involves both gas dynamics and magnetic fields.

Isaac Newton found out that the strength of the pull of gravity weakens the farther you get away from an object, in proportion to 1/(r*r), where r is the distance you are away from the center. The strength of the gravitational pull is also proportional to the mass of the object.

The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.3 light-years away, so stars do not have any pull on each other. i assume that the mass of a black hole is the only thing that can pull the sun.

Am I right?

michelrochette said:
Isaac Newton found out that the strength of the pull of gravity weakens the farther you get away from an object, in proportion to 1/(r*r), where r is the distance you are away from the center. The strength of the gravitational pull is also proportional to the mass of the object.

The nearest star, Proxima Centauri, is 4.3 light-years away, so stars do not have any pull on each other. i assume that the mass of a black hole is the only thing that can pull the sun.

Am I right?

Welcome to these Forums michelrochette and keep asking the questions!

In this case you are not right, although you did give the answer yourself, stars do have a gravitational attraction to each other, however, because as you correctly say the acceleration, or 'pull', is proportional to 1/r2 the attraction of the solar system towards an individual, even the nearest, star is incredibly weak.

However there are about 2 x1011 stars in our galaxy and their combined pull is sufficient to keep our solar system in orbit around the galactic centre. Our orbital velocity is about 0.1% the speed of light and it takes the solar system ~ 'quarter' of a billion (109) years to make one orbital revolution.

Garth

Last edited:
@Garth
Thank you for your clear answer!

1. What is gravitational pull?

Gravitational pull is the force of attraction between two objects that have mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for the moon orbiting around the Earth.

2. How does gravitational pull affect the movement of the sun?

The sun has a massive amount of mass, which creates a strong gravitational pull. This pull keeps the sun in its orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy and also causes the planets in our solar system to orbit around the sun.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravitational pull?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull. This means that massive objects, like the sun, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, like planets.

4. How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to the sun's gravitational pull?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that mass can bend the fabric of space-time, creating a gravitational pull. The sun's massive amount of mass causes a curvature in space-time, creating the gravitational pull that keeps the planets in orbit.

5. Can gravitational pull be explained by any other scientific theories?

Yes, Newton's theory of gravity also explains the relationship between mass and gravitational pull. It states that any two objects with mass will attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.