See Saw Balance: Heavier Person & Fulcrum

• Thread starter Lula Belle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fulcrum
In summary, the conversation discussed the positioning of two individuals on a see saw to maintain balance. The question was whether the heavier person needed to be closer to the fulcrum. It was clarified that this was not a stupid question and the person asking apologized for their medical condition. It was determined that the heavier person would need to sit closer to the fulcrum in order to balance the weight distribution. It was also mentioned that a lobotomy would not help with Multiple Sclerosis, and the force of the two individuals would need to be balanced for the see saw to remain level.
Lula Belle
If a person weighing 100 lbs is on a see saw with someone weighing 50 lbs, does the heavier person need to be closer to the fulcrum so that the see saw will balance?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

I am so sorry to have asked such a stupid question. I have a medical condition that prevents me from figuring things out as well as I once did. Please forgive me.

No need to apologize, it's not a stupid question.

Whatever the condition was, was the cure a lobotomy?

no, a lobotomy doesn't help with Multiple Sclerosis.

Yes. The fat guy needs to sit closer.

Yes, the fat guy would have to sit closer to the fulcrum. If he weighs twice as much as the anorexic guy, he would have to sit twice as far away from the fulcrum as the fat guy. Therefore, the force of the skinny guy and the fat guy are balanced and they don't drop. Amazing. *happyface*

What is a see saw balance?

A see saw balance is a simple machine consisting of a long plank or beam balanced on a fulcrum. It allows for two people to sit on opposite ends and move up and down, with one end going up as the other goes down.

How does the weight of a person affect a see saw balance?

The weight of a person can affect a see saw balance by changing the position of the fulcrum. The heavier person will cause the balance to tilt towards their end, while the lighter person will cause it to tilt towards their end. This changes the distribution of weight on either side of the fulcrum.

What is the role of the fulcrum in a see saw balance?

The fulcrum is the pivot point on which the see saw balance rests. It allows for the movement of the plank or beam, and helps to distribute the weight of the people on either end. The position of the fulcrum can also be adjusted to change the balance of weight.

Does the distance of the fulcrum from the heavier person affect the balance?

Yes, the distance of the fulcrum from the heavier person can affect the balance. The closer the fulcrum is to the heavier person, the easier it is for them to lift the lighter person, as the weight is distributed evenly. However, if the fulcrum is placed further away from the heavier person, it becomes more difficult for them to lift the lighter person.

What is the purpose of a see saw balance?

The purpose of a see saw balance is to demonstrate the principles of balance, weight distribution, and leverage. It is also a fun and interactive way for children to learn about physics and mechanics. Additionally, it can be used to teach teamwork and communication, as both people need to work together to achieve a balanced see saw.