Angular Momentum -Opening a door with a bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a cowboy wanting to open a saloon door with a revolver shot. The questions include deriving an expression for the moment of inertia of the door, an expression for the angular velocity of the door after being hit, and the maximum degrees the door will open with a given angular benchmark. The conversation also mentions using the conservation of angular momentum and considering the energy stored in the spring attached to the door. The final result is an approximation for the angular velocity of the door as 3mv/Mb.
Vickitty
Sorry for so many questions, just coming back here after going through all the review questions I could get. Here we go:

A cowboy wants to open a saloon door with a revolver shot. The swinging door (Mass M, width b) is hit on the very edge and the bullet (Mass m, velocity v) lodges into the door.
a) Derive an expression for the moment of inertia of the door. - I got this to be J = Mb^2/3, and not too worried about this question.
b) Derive an expression for the angular velocity w, with which the door swings open after being hit. -I'm supposed to use the conservation of angular moment here, right? I ended up getting w = 3mv/((M+m)b^2), but I don't think this is right.
c) How many degrees will the door open at most, with D* as the "angular benchmark"? Use the numbers M = 10 kg, b = .6 m, m = 10 g, v = 500 m/s, D* = 1.2 Nm. - I don't even know if "angular benchmark" is the right translation for D* (it's Winkelrichtgroesse in German if that helps anyone). We were also given the formula Moment of Force = -D*phi. Am I going to want to plug the info I'm given into the formula I created in b?

Thank you again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vickitty said:
a) Derive an expression for the moment of inertia of the door. - I got this to be J = Mb^2/3, and not too worried about this question.
Right.
b) Derive an expression for the angular velocity w, with which the door swings open after being hit. -I'm supposed to use the conservation of angular moment here, right? I ended up getting w = 3mv/((M+m)b^2), but I don't think this is right.
Yes, use conservation of angular momentum. But you need the rotational inertia of the "door + bullet", not just the door. (It's a tiny correction.)
c) How many degrees will the door open at most, with D* as the "angular benchmark"? Use the numbers M = 10 kg, b = .6 m, m = 10 g, v = 500 m/s, D* = 1.2 Nm. - I don't even know if "angular benchmark" is the right translation for D* (it's Winkelrichtgroesse in German if that helps anyone). We were also given the formula Moment of Force = -D*phi. Am I going to want to plug the info I'm given into the formula I created in b?
Assuming by "moment of force" is meant a restoring torque acting to close the door (it's on a spring), then find energy stored in it as a function of angle. (Integrate; or just compare to a spring.) Then find the KE that the system has after impact, using the results of step b. Then consider that KE is transformed into spring potential energy.

Doc Al said:
Right.

Yes, use conservation of angular momentum. But you need the rotational inertia of the "door + bullet", not just the door. (It's a tiny correction.)

I used mv = (M + m)b^2w/3, which is including both the door and the bullet, isn't it? Or do you mean in the initial momentum of the bullet as well? The door has no momentum to start off with though.

In this problem all you care about is the angular momentum of the bullet (rotating about the door hinge). The balance of the linear momentum will be taken up by the door hinge.

Part b:
The angular momentum of the bullet should be [tex]|\vec{p} \times \vec{r} | = mvb[/tex] (angular speed should be in per second - you had per meter second). And, since [tex]M>>m[/tex] you can just use [tex]\omega\approx\frac{3mv}{Mb}[/tex]

Part d: The saloon door is on a spring that's working against the bullet. D is effectively the spring constant for the door. You should be able to solve this using energy.

Vickitty said:
I used mv = (M + m)b^2w/3, which is including both the door and the bullet, isn't it? Or do you mean in the initial momentum of the bullet as well? The door has no momentum to start off with though.
You are leaving out a "b" (in the initial angular momentum of the bullet) and are not capturing the rotational inertia of the bullet properly:
mvb = (1/3M + m)b^2ω, so ω = 3mv/(M+3m)b.
But as NateG says, you can ignore the bullet's small contribution to the rotational inertia (3m compared to M), so ω ≈ 3mv/Mb.

Last edited:

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a concept in physics that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of angular displacement).

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed within the system.

Can a bullet open a door using angular momentum?

Yes, it is possible for a bullet to open a door using angular momentum. This is because the bullet has a high velocity and small mass, resulting in a large angular momentum that can be transferred to the door upon impact.

What other factors besides angular momentum can affect the opening of a door with a bullet?

Other factors that can affect the opening of a door with a bullet include the material and thickness of the door, the angle and location of impact, and the type of bullet being used (e.g. its shape, mass, and velocity). Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the effectiveness of using angular momentum to open a door with a bullet.