Parallel vs. Series Resistors: Solving for Unknown Voltage and Current

In summary, when connecting two resistors in parallel across a battery, the total current supplied is the sum of the individual currents. However, when connected in series, the current remains the same for each resistor. In this scenario, the current supplied by the battery would be 7.3 A.
BuBbLeS01
Parallel vs. Series...HELP!

Homework Statement

When two resistors are connected in parallel across a battery of unknown voltage, one resistor carries a current of 4.3 A while the second carries a current of 3 A. What current will be supplied bu the same battery if these two resistors are connected to it in series?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help getting started...

Physics news on Phys.org
In series the amps are the same throughout every resistor. In parallel the amps all add up to a total amperage. I'm pretty sure I know how to do it..see if you can figure out the rest.

Hello, as a scientist, I would be happy to assist you with understanding the concept of parallel and series resistors and how to solve for unknown voltage and current.

Firstly, let's define what parallel and series circuits are. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, and in a series circuit, the resistors are connected end to end.

Now, let's look at how to solve for unknown voltage and current in each type of circuit.

In a parallel circuit, the total current (I) is equal to the sum of the currents through each resistor (I1 and I2). This can be represented by the equation:

I = I1 + I2

The voltage (V) across each resistor is the same, and it is equal to the voltage of the battery. This can be represented by the equation:

V = V1 = V2 = Vbattery

To solve for the unknown voltage or current in a parallel circuit, you can use the following formula:

V = IR

Where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

Now, let's look at a series circuit. In a series circuit, the current through each resistor is the same, and it is equal to the total current (I). This can be represented by the equation:

I = I1 = I2

The total voltage (V) in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the voltages across each resistor (V1 and V2). This can be represented by the equation:

V = V1 + V2

To solve for the unknown voltage or current in a series circuit, you can use the following formula:

I = V/R

Where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

Now, let's apply these concepts to the given problem.

We know that in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each resistor is the same, and it is equal to the voltage of the battery. So, we can set up the following equation:

Vbattery = V1 = V2

We also know that the total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the currents through each resistor. So, we can set up the following equation:

I = I1 + I2

Now, we can substitute the given values into these equations. We know that I1 = 4.3 A and

What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected to the same two points of the power supply, creating multiple paths for the current to flow. In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for the current to flow.

Which circuit is more common in everyday devices?

Parallel circuits are more common in everyday devices because if one component fails, the others can still function. This is important for devices that need to maintain a constant power supply, such as lights or appliances.

Which circuit is better for overall power consumption?

In general, parallel circuits are better for overall power consumption because each component receives the full voltage of the power supply, resulting in greater efficiency. In series circuits, the voltage is divided among the components, resulting in a decrease in overall power.

What happens to the resistance in a parallel vs. series circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the overall resistance decreases as more components are added because there are multiple paths for the current to flow. In a series circuit, the overall resistance increases as more components are added because the current must flow through each component in sequence.

Can a circuit be both parallel and series?

Yes, a circuit can have both parallel and series components. This is known as a combination circuit, where some components are connected in parallel and others are connected in series. This type of circuit is often used in more complex electronic devices.