Would Hitting a Micro Black Hole with Your Hand Create a Hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a micro black hole on a human hand. It is determined that the size of the black hole would determine its potential danger, with smaller black holes potentially evaporating before causing harm. However, if the black hole were large enough, it could potentially be fatal. The conversation also mentions the acceleration one would experience near a black hole of the discussed dimensions, which is significantly greater than the acceleration due to gravity.
Denton
In the air, and I tried hitting it with my hand, would I now have a hole there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have holes in your hand anyway. If you look closely enough.

I guess you are thinking of a somewhat larger micro black hole?

How about one which has a radius of 1/1000th of 1 micron? Then you would have a mass of approximately 6.73x10^14 tonnes right by your hand. If so, you will have more problems than a little hole in your hand.

By the way, hypodermic needles come in different gauges, the smallest mentioned on wikipedia is a #33, which is 203 microns in diameter, which is about 30000 times bigger than the mini black hole we discussed above. Human cells are typically about 1 micron wide (yes, I know nerves are single cells and very big in comparison, sheesh, I said "typically").

So, you will either have a hole you would never notice or be sucked into the black hole.

Except that mini (micro) black holes are expected to evaporate pretty quickly (if Hawking is right) and the smaller they are the quicker they evaporate, so I am pretty sure you end up with black holes large enough to kill you (making the hole in your hand somewhat irrelevant) or small enough to evapourate before doing you any damage whatsoever.

cheers,

neopolitan

PS - if your hand was held one metre from the centre of your body, you will experience an acceleration due to a black hole of the dimensions discussed above in the order of 45000 kilometers per second. This is about 4.5 million times what you experience due to gravity. That is "bad".

Last edited:

It is highly unlikely that you would have a hole in your hand if you were to hit a micro black hole in the air. Micro black holes are extremely small and have a very weak gravitational pull, so the impact of your hand would not be enough to cause any significant damage. Additionally, black holes are not like physical holes that you can touch or see, as they are regions of space with an incredibly strong gravitational pull. It is important to remember that black holes are not just empty spaces, but rather they are objects with a mass and a strong gravitational force. So, hitting a black hole with your hand would not produce a physical hole, but it could potentially have other consequences such as stretching or warping of time and space around the black hole.

1. What is a micro black hole?

A micro black hole is a hypothetical tiny black hole that is thought to have a mass much smaller than that of a regular black hole. It is believed that these small black holes could be created in the high energy collisions of particles, such as in particle accelerators.

2. How would a micro black hole affect Earth?

If a micro black hole were to be created on Earth, it would likely evaporate almost immediately due to Hawking radiation. This means that it would not pose any danger or cause any significant changes on Earth.

3. Can a micro black hole be used for energy production?

While it is theoretically possible to harness the energy of a micro black hole, it is currently not a feasible source of energy. The technology and infrastructure required to create and contain such a tiny black hole are not yet available.

4. How do scientists study micro black holes?

Since micro black holes are only theoretical at this point, scientists study them through mathematical models and simulations. They also look for indirect evidence of their existence, such as the detection of Hawking radiation.

5. Are micro black holes the same as dark matter?

No, micro black holes and dark matter are two different concepts. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and makes up a large portion of the universe's mass, while micro black holes are tiny objects with a strong gravitational pull.