Vapor density in kg/m3 in CO2 absorber

In summary, Tim is asking for help in calculating the vapor density of a gas mixture with the given information of temperature, pressure, flow rate, and average molecular weight. He is specifically asking for the formula or method to use. The conversation also includes additional information about the gas mixture being mostly composed of H2 and the composition of the gas from a Steam Methane Reformer. The suggested solution is to calculate total density from the partial pressures using the Ideal Gas Law.
timvk
hello all,

I got a bit of a problem. I want to calculate the vapor density (kg/ m3 or lbs/ ft3) with the following facts:

temp: 40C
pressure : 20-31 bar
flow rate: 1000-10000 kmole/ hr
MW avg: 10-12 g/ mol (it is a mixture of H2, CO, CO2, CH4, H2O)> mostly H2

I wanted to know which formula/ method I have to use to calculate the vapor density. Hope someone can help me

Cheers,

Tim

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe it makes it more realistic when I say this:

It is about a exit gas from a Steam Methane Reformer after water gas shifts.

The mol% of the exact compositions are:
75.22% H2
19.27% CO2
4.22% CH4
0.30% CO
0.98% N2
rest is water

temp is 40C
pressure: 26.5 bar
4640 kmole/ hr

Still hope someone could help with this problem

Hi Tim,
You should be able to calculate total density from the partial pressures. Total pressure is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each constituent. Assume also the temperature of all the gasses in the mix are equal.

See if this helps at all: http://www.mikeblaber.org/oldwine/chm1045/notes/Gases/Mixtures/Gases06.htm

Thanks,

I will look it up in more detail. For now I used the Ideal gas law (assumed it is an ideal gas with compressibility of 1)

cheers,

1. What is the significance of vapor density in a CO2 absorber?

The vapor density in a CO2 absorber is an important factor in determining the efficiency of the absorber. It is the measure of the mass of vapor per unit volume of the absorber. A higher vapor density means there is a higher concentration of CO2 in the absorber, which leads to better absorption and removal of CO2 from the environment.

2. How is vapor density measured in a CO2 absorber?

Vapor density in a CO2 absorber is typically measured using a density meter or hydrometer. These instruments measure the density of the vapor by comparing it to the density of a known standard. The results are usually reported in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

3. What factors can affect the vapor density in a CO2 absorber?

The vapor density in a CO2 absorber can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the flow rate of the gas. Higher temperatures and pressures can increase the vapor density, while a higher flow rate can decrease it.

4. How does the vapor density in a CO2 absorber impact the overall process?

The vapor density in a CO2 absorber directly affects the efficiency of the process. A higher vapor density means more CO2 is being absorbed, leading to a more efficient removal of CO2 from the environment. On the other hand, a lower vapor density may indicate that the absorber needs to be adjusted or replaced to improve its performance.

5. What is the ideal vapor density in a CO2 absorber?

The ideal vapor density in a CO2 absorber varies depending on the specific application and desired level of CO2 removal. Generally, a higher vapor density is preferred as it indicates a higher concentration of CO2 in the absorber, but it should not reach a point where it causes operational issues such as clogging or damage to the equipment.