Comparing X1 to X2: Find the Ratio

• Thread starter student 1
  • Start date
In summary, the skateboarder covered a greater distance on the second trip down the hill because he started from rest and had a constant acceleration. The ratio of the distances covered is 3 because the skateboarder covered a distance of 3 times what he did on the first trip down the hill.
student 1

Homework Statement

A skateboarder coasts down a long hill for 6.00 seconds with constant acceleration, and starting from rest covers distance X1. On a second trip down the same hill starting from rest, he coasts for 2.00 seconds, covering a distance X2. Find the ratio of X1 to X2.

Homework Equations

V1= X1/6.00 s
V2= X2/2.00 s

The Attempt at a Solution

What is it talking about when it says find the ratio. I do not know what I need to find. I'm sure I'm suppose to calculate acceleration in somewhere, but I don't even know where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ratio of x1 to x2 is simply x1/x2.

Ok, so I'm assuming I need to find the distance that X1 and X2 equal. How do u determine that if you do not know the speed they traveled?

The questions says the skater started from rest and was subject to a constant acceleration. If you set up and equation for both distances in terms of these quantities and then divide them some terms will of course cancel out.

student 1 said:
Ok, so I'm assuming I need to find the distance that X1 and X2 equal. How do u determine that if you do not know the speed they traveled?

He didn't travel any specific speed- he had a constant acceleration. Assuming constant acceleration a, the first time he traveled for 6 seconds so he had an initial speed of 0 and final speed of 6a. The second time, he traveled for only 2 seconds so he had an initial speed of 0 and final speed of 2a.

Fortunately, with constant acceleration, the average speed is just the average of the two "end" speeds- the average speed is just the initial speed (0 in both cases) plus the final speed (6a and 2a) divided by 2.

(Actually, if you remember that the distance covered at constant acceleration depends upon t2, this is almost trivial! You can use that as a check.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically, to find the ratio of the distance that is simply saying that You would divide the 6 seconds by 2 seconds and it would give you 3 therefore your distance for X1 would be 3 times greater than that of X2, due to them both accelerating at the same speed, is this correct?

No that's not correct. How would you calculate the distance normally. That is, what equation would you use?

Xf=Xi+Vit+1/2(Acceleration)t^2

You know that the initial speed and distance are zero so both distances only depend on acceleration and time. Now divide x1 by x2.

So it would be 6A/2A which would give you 3. Like before, but you cannot simply assume that it would be 6 divided by 2 right?

No. Where did you get 6a/2a from the equation you posted before? The acceleration term in that equation is multiplied by t2 and divided by 2.

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm so confused with this it is not even funny! I understand the part you are talking about. So I got 9 for the ratio would that be right?

Yep. So its basically just the ratio of the times squared which is what HallsofIvy was alluding to before.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I understood that it was simply this distance of x1 over x2, however I seem to try and make things way more hard than they are suppose to be! Thanks again!

1. What is the purpose of comparing X1 to X2?

The purpose of comparing X1 to X2 is to determine the ratio between the two quantities. This allows for a better understanding of the relationship between X1 and X2 and can be useful in various scientific and mathematical analyses.

2. How do you find the ratio between X1 and X2?

To find the ratio between X1 and X2, you simply divide the value of X1 by the value of X2. This will give you a decimal or fraction that represents the ratio between the two quantities. For example, if X1 = 10 and X2 = 5, the ratio would be 10/5 = 2.

3. Can you compare X1 to X2 if they have different units?

Yes, you can still compare X1 to X2 even if they have different units. However, it is important to convert both quantities to the same unit before finding the ratio. This ensures that the comparison is accurate and meaningful.

4. What does the ratio between X1 and X2 tell us?

The ratio between X1 and X2 can tell us how many times larger or smaller X1 is compared to X2. It can also provide insight into the relationship between the two quantities and how they change relative to each other.

5. Are there any limitations to comparing X1 to X2?

One limitation of comparing X1 to X2 is that it only gives us a numerical value and does not provide any context or explanation for the ratio. It is important to consider other factors and data when interpreting the results of a comparison. Additionally, the ratio may not accurately represent the true relationship between X1 and X2 if the values are significantly different or if there are outliers in the data.