Bloch's theorem for finite systems ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Bloch's theorem in the study of finite, periodic structures in solid state physics. The speakers agree that it is acceptable and physically correct to use Bloch's theorem in these cases, as it provides accurate results. However, it is noted that in the strictest sense, finite and periodic are mutually exclusive and the use of Bloch's theorem may be considered an approximation. The discussion also touches on the Born-von Karman boundary condition and the use of Bloch's theorem in ab-initio calculations and studies of defects in crystals. Overall, it is concluded that Bloch's theorem is a useful tool in the study of solid state systems, but its application must be considered in the context of
|squeezed>
Hi all

I have a question regarding Bloch's theorem (also known as Floquet's theorem) and its use. I have seen in many solid state textbooks the famous problem of N coupled oscillators where one finds the dispersion relation analytically by using Bloch's theorem. However many times, authors add the comment that N tends to infinity.
My question is:
Is it "right" to use Bloch's theorem for finite,periodic structures ?
By "right" i mean if it is physically correct - not if one can do that as an approximation.

To my understanding (so far) Bloch's theorem has also to do with the boundary conditions (right?). In a finite structure there would be a problem at the endpoints unless the boundary conditions are cyclic. Then the theorem works, but can one do the same in a more general case without cyclic boundary conditions ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The study of finite-sized systems is massive and complicated. Any textbook on basic condensed matter will always work in the limit where N is very large. In most cases, you can expect a 1/sqrt(N) correction for very large but finite N. (There are times when this breaks down, but they are active research directions.)

In the strictest sense of the definitions, finite and periodic are mutually exclusive, so I assume you mean a finite structure which is approximately periodic in some region of space. Mainly I'm being pedantic on this point because you are asking a pedantic question of whether it's "right" to use Bloch's theorem rather than is it just approximate, and below where I use the term periodic, I really mean periodic in the mathematical sense, ie. periodic over the entire space.

For a free particle in quantum mechanics, you find that the momentum is a good quantum number, and this follows from the infinitesimal translational symmetry in space. The cyclic boundary condition you refer to that makes a finite solid periodic is generally called the Born-von Karman boundary condition, and from it you can derive Bloch's theorem. There you find the pseudo-momentum vector k is a good quantum number, and this follows from the discrete translational symmetry of space in a periodic solid. If you don't have the periodicity, you break the translational symmetry and k is no longer a good quantum number (very strictly speaking, of course).

Realistically, in a solid, 100 unit cells, ~50 nm or so is usually more than enough for the electrons to feel as if they are in an infinite periodic crystal. So Bloch's theorem works to a very excellent approximation for bulk properties of a crystal that is anywhere near macroscopically sized, and there is a whole crapload of experiments which show this.

Last edited:
|squeezed> said:
Hi all

Is it "right" to use Bloch's theorem for finite,periodic structures ?
By "right" i mean if it is physically correct - not if one can do that as an approximation.

Of course. This is how a lot of ab-initio codes that handle infinite systems work. This is how one does a calculation on a defect in a crystal. So to answer your question: It is right because it gives the correct answer, but it isn't "real" in the sense that in a real material defects would be repeated in a orderly fashion throughout space.

1. What is Bloch's theorem for finite systems?

Bloch's theorem for finite systems is a fundamental principle in solid state physics that states that the wavefunction of a particle in a periodic potential can be written as a product of a periodic function and a plane wave. This theorem is essential for understanding the electronic and optical properties of materials.

2. How does Bloch's theorem apply to finite systems?

Bloch's theorem for finite systems is a modified version of the original Bloch's theorem, which applies to infinite systems. It takes into account the boundary conditions of a finite system and allows for a more accurate description of the wavefunction and energy levels of particles within the system.

3. What are the main assumptions of Bloch's theorem for finite systems?

The main assumptions of Bloch's theorem for finite systems are that the potential is periodic and the system is translationally invariant. This means that the potential energy of the system is the same at every point within the system and that the system has a repeating structure.

4. How is Bloch's theorem for finite systems used in practical applications?

Bloch's theorem for finite systems is used in various practical applications, such as in the simulation of electronic and optical properties of materials. It is also used in the development of devices such as transistors, solar cells, and LEDs. Additionally, it has applications in fields such as quantum chemistry and nanotechnology.

5. Are there any limitations to Bloch's theorem for finite systems?

One limitation of Bloch's theorem for finite systems is that it only applies to systems with a periodic potential. This means that it cannot be used to describe systems with random or non-periodic potentials. Additionally, it assumes that the system is at equilibrium and does not take into account dynamics or interactions between particles.