Is Quantum Physics Understood Through Our Senses?

• Thread starter coberst
  • Start date
In summary, the phrase "It makes sense" is often used without much thought, but it reflects the idea that our senses are often seen as the ultimate judge of truth. However, in the world of atoms, our senses are not a reliable guide and it took science to make sense of this inner reality. With advances in technology, such as scanning tunnel microscopes, the atomic world is no longer just a theoretical concept, but something that can be apprehended and understood by the layman through books written by experts. Ultimately, our intuition and senses may not always be the best guide to understanding complex concepts, and it is important to approach them with an open mind and willingness to learn.
coberst
“It makes sense.” An expression often heard but seldom thought about. Literally the phrase states that one or more of our senses legitimates the nature of the matter under consideration. One need only to look at the situation, smell or touch the item, listen to it, or just taste it to be assured that the truth is readily ascertained and affirmed by the senses.

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century science was beginning to explore the inner sanctum of the atom. This is a world into which our intuition was no guide. This was a world in which nothing made sense. Our senses were of no value in ascertaining the “truth” of this inner world of the atom. Nothing was intuitive in this mysterious world that was being penetrated by the science of physics.

This inner reality of the atom was explored and became understandable by science. It is this atomic universe that provides the electronic marvels that drives our computers and information technology upon which we are all so dependent.

This great new technological miracle is within the reach of the understanding of most all of us if we are interested and are willing to invest some time. There are all kinds of books written by experts in the field that make is possible for all of us to gain a significant understanding of the nature of this inner reality of the atom even though none of it “makes sense”.

If there are books that make it possible for the layman to grasp a significant comprehension of Quantum Physics then it seems reasonable to expect that no matter where your curiosity takes you there will be many books written just for your understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
it "makes reason"? or it's reason-able?

pocebokli said:
it "makes reason"? or it's reason-able?

I am slow in understanding the question. I do not know what to say here.

well since the atom can not be sensed by senses, as you put it, it can be "sensed" by reason?

so it don't make sense, it makes reason.

pocebokli said:
well since the atom can not be sensed by senses, as you put it, it can be "sensed" by reason?

I am made of atoms, and I sense that I do exist. I cannot see the air, but I know it is there.

pocebokli said:

OK I "see". You make a great deal of "reason" to me. Someone pointed out to me that, when I said that our intuition was no guide to the inner reality of the atom, to the scientists such as Feynman the intuition was a guide. Because the intuition is for these guys an intuition grown sophisticated in the reality of the atom and thus their intuition was their guide. Does that make "reason"?

well did you see the "?" at the end of my QUESTION?:-)

Are you wondering wether it is possible that senses or intuition guide us to understanding of such complex things that cannot be even sensed at such a small level?

Perhaps it can, since all the bigger things that atoms make up can be sensed, and our senses are also made up from smaller things such as atoms.

It's a good question actually...

Scanning tunnel microscopes can take pictures of atoms. Amateurs can build them. There is no longer any reason to pretend that atoms are just theoretiical.

selfAdjoint said:
Scanning tunnel microscopes can take pictures of atoms. Amateurs can build them. There is no longer any reason to pretend that atoms are just theoretiical.

I wonder if we should use a word like "apprehend" in such matters. It seems to me that I apprehend atoms and I do not think I have in the past considered atoms to be only theoretical. I am inclined to apprehend atoms just as I apprehend trees. I can also perceive trees unaided.

coberst said:
I wonder if we should use a word like "apprehend" in such matters. It seems to me that I apprehend atoms and I do not think I have in the past considered atoms to be only theoretical. I am inclined to apprehend atoms just as I apprehend trees. I can also perceive trees unaided.

You can also see optical illusions unaided. Seeing may be believing, but believing does not make it real. :yuck:

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how particles interact and behave, and how they can exist in multiple states at the same time. It is also known as quantum mechanics.

2. How is quantum physics understood through our senses?

Quantum physics cannot be fully understood through our senses, as it deals with the behavior of particles that are too small to be seen. Our senses are limited to perceiving the world on a macroscopic scale, while quantum phenomena occur on a microscopic scale. However, scientists use mathematical models and experiments to study and understand quantum physics.

3. What is the role of observation in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, the act of observation or measurement affects the behavior of particles. This is known as the observer effect, where the very act of measuring a particle's properties can change its behavior. This concept is still not fully understood and is a subject of ongoing research in the field.

4. Can we see quantum entanglement with our senses?

No, we cannot see quantum entanglement with our senses as it occurs at a subatomic level. Entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances. It is only observable through experiments and mathematical models.

5. How does quantum physics challenge our understanding of reality?

Quantum physics challenges our understanding of reality by suggesting that the laws of classical physics, which govern how objects behave on a larger scale, do not apply to the microscopic world. It also introduces concepts like superposition and entanglement, which are difficult to comprehend in our everyday experiences. Quantum physics has forced scientists to rethink our understanding of reality and the fundamental nature of the universe.