Calculating Tension & Acceleration of Stacked Blocks | Newton's Laws Homework

• Thread starter NinjaChemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blocks
In summary, two blocks with masses of 2kg and 1kg are stacked on top of each other. The bottom block is pulled to the right by a tension force of 20 N, while the top block is connected to the left wall by a rope. The coefficients of kinetic friction are .40 on the bottom and top of the 2kg block. In order to find the tension in the rope holding the 1kg block and the acceleration of the 2kg block, the equations for vertical force components must be written and solved to obtain the normal forces and subsequently, the forces of friction.
NinjaChemist

Homework Statement

There are two blocks, the bottom block with a mass of 2kg and a block with mass of 1 kg stacked on top of it. Block on bottom is being pulled to the right by a tension force of 20 N. The top block is connected to the left wall by a rope. The coefficients of kinetic friction are .40 on bottom and top of the 2kg block.

Q1) What is the tension in the rope holding block of 1kg
Q2) what is the acceleration of block of 2kg

Homework Equations

Newtons 2nd/3rd law.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1, i have attempted to set Fnet(2) = 20N (tension)- Ffriction(2 on ground) - Ffriction(1 on 2)
and then set Fnet(1) = 0 = -T + Ffriction(1 on 2)

I cannot find how to relate them. I know that the top block should stay stationary while the bottom block moves away, but I don't know what masses to use to calculate the normal forces.

I figure if I can get guided to the answer for part 1, part 2 might be solvable. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
NinjaChemist said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For part 1, i have attempted to set Fnet(2) = 20N (tension)- Ffriction(2 on ground) - Ffriction(1 on 2)
and then set Fnet(1) = 0 = -T + Ffriction(1 on 2)

I cannot find how to relate them. I know that the top block should stay stationary while the bottom block moves away, but I don't know what masses to use to calculate the normal forces.

Write the equations for the vertical force components. From those, you get the normal forces. Multiplying the normal forces with the coefficient of friction, the forces of friction are obtained.

ehild

1. What is a stacked blocks question?

A stacked blocks question is a type of problem-solving or critical thinking question where a set of information or pieces of a puzzle are given and the task is to arrange them in a specific order or configuration.

2. How do you approach a stacked blocks question?

The best approach to a stacked blocks question is to carefully read and analyze the given information or pieces, and then try to logically arrange them in the desired configuration. It can also be helpful to eliminate any options that do not fit the criteria given.

3. What skills are required to solve a stacked blocks question?

Solving a stacked blocks question requires strong critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to analyze and organize information in a logical manner. It also requires attention to detail and the ability to think outside the box.

4. Are there any strategies for solving stacked blocks questions?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful when solving stacked blocks questions. These include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or charts, and trying different combinations until the correct solution is found.

5. What are some examples of stacked blocks questions?

Some examples of stacked blocks questions include rearranging a set of images to form a specific pattern, arranging a sequence of numbers in a specific order, or organizing a list of events in chronological order. These types of questions can also be found in IQ tests, puzzle games, and other problem-solving activities.