What Are the Largest Gear Ratios Possible for a Steam Turbine System?

In summary, you can create a gear system that will allow a turbine to turn at a rate of 1 rotation and hour using a simple gear taken from a cheap clock. However, this system will not be able to handle the torque required by a steam turbine at the base of a building with levels above it.
SimonBuk
Hi, I'm new to the site so I hope I'm in the right place, I have a question regarding gears for a project that I am working on at uni.

I'm designing a building which has a steam driven turbine at the base, what I want to have is levels above which are attached to the same axle as the turbine but spin a lot slower. The obvious way to run this is to involve a gear system for which I made a model below. This used a simple gear that I took out of a cheap clock. So the model works on a 1:12 Ratio

However, A Steam Turbine can turn at approx 5000RPM, I would like the levels above to turn at a rate of approx 1 rotation and hour, which is about 0.02RPM I think?

Is anything like this possible, its obliviously a massive step down. The building has a 20m diameter so a lot of space is available if massive gears are required. But where do I start with working out how it would work, would a planetary gear system support it?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

Attachments

• IMG_2168 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2168 (Small).JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 598
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks, found some good info on Radio telescopes. I'm intrigued by the Hotel rotating floors though, have you got any links to anything on those, not sure if I'm searching for the right thing

Worm gears provide some large ratios. This guy set up a worm-gears in series...the input is 50 rpm, and the output is so small, that he encased it in concrete because it really doesn't matter.

It would make a complete revolution in about two trillion years...

/v/5q-BH-tvxEg&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/youtube]

SimonBuk said:
Hi, I'm new to the site so I hope I'm in the right place, I have a question regarding gears for a project that I am working on at uni.

I'm designing a building which has a steam driven turbine at the base, what I want to have is levels above which are attached to the same axle as the turbine but spin a lot slower. The obvious way to run this is to involve a gear system for which I made a model below. This used a simple gear that I took out of a cheap clock. So the model works on a 1:12 Ratio

However, A Steam Turbine can turn at approx 5000RPM, I would like the levels above to turn at a rate of approx 1 rotation and hour, which is about 0.02RPM I think?

Is anything like this possible, its obliviously a massive step down. The building has a 20m diameter so a lot of space is available if massive gears are required. But where do I start with working out how it would work, would a planetary gear system support it?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Simon

it will depend on the torque required at higher level...cause module is dependant on that...also the shaft diameter will also come into picture...with its cost...i m not getting weather ur asking for a model or for a protocol?

1. What is a gear ratio?

A gear ratio is the relationship between the number of teeth on two gears that are meshed together. It is used to determine the rotational speed and torque of a system.

2. How is gear ratio calculated?

Gear ratio is calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the driven gear by the number of teeth on the driving gear. For example, if the driven gear has 20 teeth and the driving gear has 10 teeth, the gear ratio would be 2:1.

3. What is the largest gear ratio possible?

The largest gear ratio possible is determined by the difference in the number of teeth on the two gears. In theory, there is no limit to the gear ratio, but in practice, the size and strength constraints of the gears and other mechanical components limit the maximum gear ratio that can be achieved.

4. What factors affect the largest gear ratio possible?

The largest gear ratio possible is affected by the material and size of the gears, the power and torque requirements of the system, and the precision of the gear teeth. Other factors such as lubrication, alignment, and load distribution also play a role in determining the maximum gear ratio.

5. How can the largest gear ratio possible be increased?

The largest gear ratio possible can be increased by using stronger and more precise materials for the gears, optimizing the gear design for maximum efficiency, and reducing friction and wear through proper lubrication and maintenance. Additionally, using multiple stages of gears in a gear train can also increase the overall gear ratio.