The height of a spring loaded pen

In summary, the height of a spring loaded pen varies depending on the brand and model, with a standard height of approximately 5 inches. It is measured from the top of the pen to the bottom, including attachments but not the compressed spring. The spring affects the height, with compression decreasing it and release increasing it. The height cannot be adjusted and is determined by the length of the pen and size of the spring. The height is important as it determines the force needed to activate the pen and affects its overall size and weight.
jamesd2008
Hi, you no those pens, that you have to push the top down, which is loaded with a spring to use? Well I was wondering if I released it on my desk how high would the pen travel?

I know that the spring PE=0.5kx^2 and the the spring force is F=Kx, but not sure were to go from there?

Thanks James

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy conservation:

½*k*x² = m*g*h

where m is mass of the pen.

1. What is the height of a spring loaded pen?

The height of a spring loaded pen varies depending on the brand and model. However, most spring loaded pens have a standard height of approximately 5 inches.

2. How is the height of a spring loaded pen measured?

The height of a spring loaded pen is measured from the top of the pen to the bottom, including the clip and any other attachments. It does not include the height of the pen when the spring is compressed.

3. Does the spring affect the height of a spring loaded pen?

Yes, the spring plays a crucial role in the height of a spring loaded pen. When the spring is compressed, the height of the pen decreases, and when the spring is released, the height increases.

4. Can the height of a spring loaded pen be adjusted?

No, the height of a spring loaded pen is determined by the length of the pen and the size of the spring. It cannot be adjusted unless a different spring or pen is used.

5. Why is the height of a spring loaded pen important?

The height of a spring loaded pen is important because it determines how much force is required to compress the spring and activate the pen. It also affects the overall size and weight of the pen, making it an important factor to consider when choosing a pen for writing or other purposes.