How to prove definition of exponential function as limit of powers converges

In summary: So if we could prove that the series converges for all x, we would know that the limit does exist. However, this is impossible without knowing the properties of the exponential function.
brian44
I've tried and searched for a long time, and I haven't been able to prove or find a proof that the following sequence converges (without using another definition of the exponential function):

[tex]\forall x \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]. Prove that:

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+ x/n)^n[/tex] exists.

I can prove that it is monotonic and using binomial theorem I can show that it is bounded for x=1. However if I try to use the same approach for general x, I get the power series for e^x and can only say it is bounded if I can prove the power series converges, which I don't know how to do. But even if I did is there any way to prove this limit exists without proving the power series converges (the other definition of e^x)?

Another related question I can't figure out is, how can I prove that

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (1+ x/n + o(x/n))^n = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}(1 + x/n)^n [/tex]

where [tex] o(x/n) [/tex] is any function that goes to 0 more quickly as [tex](x/n) \rightarrow 0 [/tex] than [tex](x/n) [/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I admit I don't know much real analysis. However if we have the proof for x =1 can't we let u= n/x. Then u goes to inf. as n does, x/n = 1/u and n = u*x. If we call the result for x=1 e, we get (lim u->inf (1 + 1/u))^x = e^x.

Last edited:
The problem with such an approach is that it uses the exponential function and its properties in the definition of the exponential function itself - so I would consider it circular reasoning.

Before defining e^x we have definitions for integer powers as products, but without defining the exponential function and logarithms, we can't say what something^x, where x is a real number, means, specifically I believe we define these general powers as [tex] a\in \mathbb{R^+} x\in\mathbb{R}, a^x := e^{x \log(a)}[/tex]

Without ever knowing anything about the exponential function you can expand the limmand into a series using the binomial theorem and show that series is bounded by [tex]\sum \frac{x^n}{n!}[/tex] which converges for all x by the ratio test.

1. What is the definition of an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and b is greater than 0. It is a function in which the variable x appears in the exponent.

2. How is the limit of powers used to define an exponential function?

The limit of powers is used to define an exponential function by taking the limit as x approaches infinity of a function of the form f(x) = (1 + r/n)^nx, where r is the growth rate and n is the number of compounding periods per year. This limit is equal to the exponential function e^rx.

3. What is the significance of proving the definition of an exponential function as a limit?

Proving the definition of an exponential function as a limit is significant because it provides a rigorous and mathematically precise way to define and understand exponential functions. It also allows for the application of calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts to these functions.

4. How do you prove that the limit of powers converges to the exponential function?

In order to prove that the limit of powers converges to the exponential function, one must show that the limit as x approaches infinity of (1 + r/n)^nx is equal to e^rx. This can be done using techniques from calculus, such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the definition of an exponential function as a limit?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the definition of an exponential function as a limit. Some examples include compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. These phenomena can be modeled and understood using the concept of an exponential function as a limit.