Imagine two high-voltage-masts/poles

• Thread starter Galileo
  • Start date
In summary, imagine two high-voltage-masts/poles. The cable between the poles is only 18 meters long, so the poles are only 27 meters apart.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Imagine two high-voltage-masts/poles. (I don't know the proper english word for it). You know what I`m talking about; the ones with cables to transport electricity. (Birds would sit on them and stuff.)

The two poles are both 25 meters in height and a cable of length 18 meters is suspended between the tops of the two poles.
When the cable is hanging, the lowest part of the cable is 16 meters above the ground.

Find the distance between the two poles. (i.e. How far are the two poles apart?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, perhaps I should not spoil it. This "brain teaser" has been around for a very long time, though, and has been posted here already numerous times.

- Warren

Is it about 55m apart?

Healey01 said:
Is it about 55m apart?

It cannt be - the cable is only 18m long. :smile:

ha, totally wasnt paying attention and made a dumb mistake. Hold on.

seperation ~ 4.256m?

even that's looking wrong to me now... myabe i did the arc length wrong.

Last edited:
djZblzrTdzbpZbpz`
:rolleyes:

Doesn't it sort of depend on the tension in the cable, the time of year and temperature, the age of the posts...? A bit difficult to say.

Adam said:
Doesn't it sort of depend on the tension in the cable, the time of year and temperature, the age of the posts...?
Nope.
Oh, and the cable is extremely flexible. :rolleyes:

Tenaliraman said:
djZblzrTdzbpZbpz`
Whazzat mean? :confused:

Is this actually some type of brain teaser or an arc question? :confused:

Ha ha...I've never seen this one before, but all it takes is a diagram - a good, complete diagram. :wink:

I was all prepared to find the arc length of a catenary...before I drew the picture. Should have known better, since this is posted as a brain teaser.

<answer below>
The two poles are no distance apart.

Galileo said:
Whazzat mean? :confused:

Oh, that's the answer in a language known only to Tenali. :wink: He will translate it eventually. :biggrin:

Im going to say 27 meters.

*bites tongue so hard it starts to bleed*

- Warren

I must be doing this very wrong, since I can't see how to ignore temperature, tension, and other factors.

The only factors given are:
- 2 poles, each 25m high.
- 1 cable, 18 long.
- Cable is attached at the tops of the poles.
- Distance from cable to ground is 16m at lowest.

What you leave out is:
- Ground angle.
- Ground flatness.
- Pole age, condition, lean.
- Temperature.
- Tension on cable.

Eg: on a hot day, poles further apart will mean the cable hangs down to a height of 16m; on a cold day, poles closer together will mean the cable hangs down to a height of 16m.

No doubt I'm missing something though.

Adam, the problem can be solved in the general case, under the single assumption that the cable has a uniform mass per unit length.

In this particular case though, it's much simpler than that.

Did you actually try and draw a figure...roughly to scale ? Get all the numbers right.

Learning Curve, the cable itself is only 18 meters long. How can the poles be 27 meters apart ?

This is one of those problems where if you don't solve it in 2 minutes and either you get it much later, or someone tells you, you will want to jump out the nearest window, or into the nearest wall.

ahhh, i got it finally. damn arc length took up all my time.

right next to each other, since its 9 meters from the top of the poles in the middle, and its a 18m cable then the only possible way is adjacent. Spending too much time in the homework section.

Good grief. I drew it. Where is that window...?

Galileo said:
Whazzat mean?
Gokul43201 said:
Oh, that's the answer in a language known only to Tenali.:wink: He will translate it eventually. :biggrin:

I think its time to translate :biggrin:
::djZblzrTdzbpZbpz` >>1 = 25-16=9*2=18-18=0::

Disclaimer : its not a mathematical formula, i have only put the answer in numbers rather than words. The equation means,
::25-16=9*2=18-18=0 ... 25m long poles ... lowest point 16m above which gives the longest height of the catenary as 9 but 9*2=18 which is nothing but the length of the cable and hence the distance between the poles is 0::

Ok Tenali, so 'dj' equals '25', Z means 'minus', 'z'='0' etc.

Question: Why?

because they just can...ummm...yea... I accutally did it and i got that given it's 16 meters above ground, they are 0 distance apart.

Galileo said:
Ok Tenali, so 'dj' equals '25', Z means 'minus', 'z'='0' etc.

Question: Why?

if u meant "Why does dj equal 25 and so on?"
then the answer :- i denoted that in my post as ">>1".This is the right shift operator speaking in programming language terms.

If u meant "why do u need to put ur answer in that way?"
then the answer :- just thought i don't give the answer away so soon

-- AI

correct me if I am wrong but i got that the 2 posts are away from each other 15.470 m

i got the equation 18/16 = sh(x/16) where x is the distance from 2 poles

the distance between the two poles is zero.

25 m - 16 m = 9 m (length of half the cable at distance zero)

9 m x 2 = 18 m (length of cable)

Galileo said:
Imagine two high-voltage-masts/poles. (I don't know the proper english word for it). You know what I`m talking about; the ones with cables to transport electricity. (Birds would sit on them and stuff.)

The two poles are both 25 meters in height and a cable of length 18 meters is suspended between the tops of the two poles.
When the cable is hanging, the lowest part of the cable is 16 meters above the ground.

Find the distance between the two poles. (i.e. How far are the two poles apart?)

They're called pylons!

Actually it's pretty easy if you convert meters to furlongs and use a coordinate system centered on Saturn's moon Titan rotating at half the rotational speed of Mercury. Once you correct for special relativistic effects, general relativistic effects, quantum effects, special effects, and personal effects, you get:
0, rounded of course..

Parabola?

I think everybody has the answer now. But would I be right in saying that the cable would ordinarily always hang in a parabola?
It's something I seem to remember learning at school 30 years ago!
Never had to use it until now!

Cybersteve said:
would I be right in saying that the cable would ordinarily always hang in a parabola?
Warning, there is a spoiler in the sentence below. Do not highlight it if you don't want a hint to the problem.

If there were any slack in the cable, it would take a shape known as a catenary. Here is a site with more information.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Catenary.html

Last edited:
Disproved in 1669

It wasn't that long ago that I was at school!

Either my memory is playing tricks or I've got a case against my old maths teacher!

the cable will be hanging down in the shape of a parabola...right??
if yes, then you get a really bad equation in natural logs and roots and stuff. but...it can be solved to get the the distance.

geniusprahar_21 said:
the cable will be hanging down in the shape of a parabola...right??
geniusprahar_21 said:
if yes, then you get a really bad equation in natural logs and roots and stuff. but...it can be solved to get the the distance.

This reminds me of a story about mathematicians who used to use slide rules for EVERYTHING. When asked for the square root of 100, they would race through their calculations to get an answer of 9.9999.. "Sorry, how many decimal places did you want?"

geniusprahar_21: that's a huge hint. Yeeeees, it *would* hang in a parabola, and yeeees, that *would* be hard to calculate...

But before you give up, try drawing the diagram. Accurately.

DaveC426913 said:
.Yeeeees, it *would* hang in a parabola
No it would not. Please read post #28 of this thread.

It's unbelievable how long this thread lingers and is still receiving clueless answers. The answer has appeared in the thread almost a dozen times for those who took the effort to read.

jimmysnyder said:
DaveC426913 said:
Yeeeees, it *would* hang in a parabola
No it would not. Please read post #28 of this thread.
You misunderstand my post. (And you are, at least technically, incorrect, though you are correct in spirit).

The poster is correct in principle that it forms a parabola (which, technically, it does). It's just a parabola with some very unique values (Google "degenerate parabola") and I expect that if he did the calculations the hard way, he would still arrive at the correct answer - and then slap himself on the forehead.

I'm trying to hint to him that *knowing* it is a parabola is not going to get him to the *easy* answer.

Last edited:
Galileo said:
It's unbelievable how long this thread lingers and is still receiving clueless answers. The answer has appeared in the thread almost a dozen times for those who took the effort to read.
Some people are still trying to solve it without peeking. Surely you don't object?